Help with Dell PC SSD Upgrade

Toffeeman

Hi, I currently have a Dell Inspiron PC 3668 which works fine but is a little slow with not having an SSD drive. I plan to buy a 2.5 inch SSD drive to work alongside my current slower hard drive. I am familiar with the pain of upgrading some Dell PCs but not come across this so hoping somebody could please help/advise?

Basically I can see that I have space for a SATA connection on the motherboard and I could use the SATA lead from the DVD drive. The problem I seem to have is that the power lead going into the DVD drive is a smaller size (different connector) than what the SSD drive needs. For info - the SSD is a Crucial BX500 and seems to have standard inputs.

Research tells me swapping out the power supply for this PC is a nightmare so I'm wondering what options I have to supply power to the SSD? I'm not familiar with all the leads and if there are any converters that would help.

I have attached photos, not sure if they are any use mind, I could take more pictures if necessary. Hopefully somebody can help me please?

Attachments

• 20210815_133908v2.jpg
    20210815_133908v2.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210815_133908.jpg
    20210815_133908.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 34

Kapkirk

Sorry your pics aren't clear enough to see the problem, remove both connectors and re shoot pics

Toffeeman

As above think we need a full picture of not just the connection but the layout inside the machine.

If it is just the power you need to split something like this should do the job

Amazon product
I understand, hopefully these pictures are clearer. I could see your amazon link only in this reply (was it a strtech splitter?), do you mean to daisy chain the existing power lead to SATA to the one you suggested instead and power that and my SSD?

The power lead to the DVD drive did not want to come out haha.

I guess I will also need some kind of bracket, either for 2.5 or 3.5 inch bay.

Attachments

• 20210816_103124.jpg
    20210816_103124.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210816_102929.jpg
    20210816_102929.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 24

sep8001

Looks like the power for the HDD is coming from the connector on the motherboard, so yes connector like the startech one will do to split the power from one to two. You do not need the startech one as it is one to 4, you just need one to two split so something like this should do the trick:

Amazon product

Toffeeman

Looks like the power for the HDD is coming from the connector on the motherboard, so yes connector like the startech one will do to split the power from one to two. You do not need the startech one as it is one to 4, you just need one to two split so something like this should do the trick:

Amazon product
It does indeed come from the motherboard, I'm hoping that I may even be able to use the highlighted SATA points so that I can use both hard drives and the DVD drive.

Do you think I should just use the splitter you posted in this case or buy another lead that serves all three?

Attachments

• 20210816_115849v2.jpg
    20210816_115849v2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210816_115849.jpg
    20210816_115849.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 24

Kapkirk

If you look at the bottom of the picture of the motherboard, there appears to be a provision for a second power lead from the motherboard marked as sata-pwr2 (just behind the white connector) near the power supply on the board.. You should connect your new SATA HDD to this connector. You will need a DELL lead like the one here: DELL OPTIPLEX 780 790,990 USFF DESKTOP SATA POWER CABLE 038PJK 38PJK | eBay
Like DavidG1 says you do not HAVE to buy a three and a half inch mounting bracket, you can just mount it with double sided tape on top of the seagate drive unless you regularly transport the pc for lan parties etc.

Toffeeman

If you look at the bottom of the picture of the motherboard, there appears to be a provision for a second power lead from the motherboard marked as sata-pwr2 (just behind the white connector) near the power supply on the board.. You should connect your new SATA HDD to this connector. You will need a DELL lead like the one here: DELL OPTIPLEX 780 790,990 USFF DESKTOP SATA POWER CABLE 038PJK 38PJK | eBay
Like DavidG1 says you do not HAVE to buy a three and a half inch mounting bracket, you can just mount it with double sided tape on top of the seagate drive unless you regularly transport the pc for lan parties etc.
Thanks Kapkirk, that's great advice, thanks.

Can you or anybody else please recommend a double sided tape?

outoftheknow

Thanks Kapkirk, that's great advice, thanks.

Can you or anybody else please recommend a double sided tape?
I don't think it matters. I just changed a drive to SSD in a desktop and the SSD holes were nowhere near the 3.5 " HDD bay screw holes. I just used electrician's tape to wrap around it holding it in the bay. Did that so it sat on the bottom of the drive in the normal operating position. I thought electrician's tape would survive better than normal Sellotape and would definitely come off more easily with less residue down the track (if I ever go into that desktop again). It was so light and there was a bit of room, I could have attached it with the tape in a few places. The bay was easiest since that's where the existing SATA cable went and it meant I didn't need to cut cable ties and have exploded spaghetti everywhere :)

No double-sided tape in the house - if I'd thought of that I reckon I would just get whatever was down the local supermarket :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom