• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with Decision

Number 42

Established Member
Hello im new to the forums,

I am currently having problems with my freeview signal {see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1096515-freeview-signal-help.html}so for now i am imagining freeview doesnt exist, what would my best options be?

Living in privately rented house so probably wouldnt be able to install motorised satellite setup etc, but the house does have a pre-existing sky dish set-up and having spoken to previous tenant they had sky up and running on this so all correctly allined to astra and working.

What would be my best option? my pc is hooked upto tv so can watch some stuff off net iplayer,catchup tv etc but very few have subtitles which my partner requires. Cannot afford SKY and virgin unavialbe in my area but again monthly subscription.

Leaves me with freesat or generic satellite reciever such as an inovation/passion+ by my reckoning unless there are any services havent mentioned? Dont know what subtitles are like on either of these? Would prefer to have HD limited though it is at the moment mainly for future proof reasons ie upcoming world cup etc, recording/pausing live tv not really bothered with and cannot stretch to humax hdr box but seems affordable if go down the innovation/passion+ route then add external Hdd when have funds.

All in All what would you guys do in my situation?

Geofbob

Prominent Member
Having looked at your other thread, I would say that generally you should persevere with that, especially if your budget is a problem. But if you want to go down the Satellite route, then certainly a designated Freesat receiver will provide subtitles - when I last looked Argos still had a Bush Freesat HD receiver in stock at £67. (But remember the Freesat line-up does not include some of the main channels in the Freeview line=up - notably Five, Fiver, Five US & Dave, which are all encrypted, and contracted to Sky on satellite.

The Fortec Star FTA Passion HD receiver is, I think, about £150, & I don't know how it is for subtitles - but I suspect that it would not be as reliable as Freesat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom