1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with deciding new separates!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by WOMBATWILSON, Mar 17, 2003.

1. WOMBATWILSON

WOMBATWILSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right i need help with deciding on some new separates.
    I want to buy a cd player, amp and speakers.
    I want to spend between £300-£400
    I have been told by a well known cheap company to buy a cambridge audio cd player cd5 and a a300 amp, and also some mordent short 902s speakers(is this a good buy as i know it comes in at just over £400).
    The type of music we listen to is very varied( like i listen to coldplay and stuff like that and the missus listens to stuff like skunk anansie, placebo etc etc).
    Or can anyone reccommend anything better please.

Thanks Nick

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    First question ... do they have to match?

As an alternative to the Cambridge Audio kit ... how about Marantz PM6010OSE Amp (£150 from Richer Sounds) along with Sony CDXE570 CD Player (£80) or Marantz CD5000 (£150) if they have to match. Add a pair of £100 speakers - Mission 771e (£80), Wharfedale 8.2 (, KEF Cresta 2 (£60) and don't forget you'll want a better interconnect - Cambridge Audio Atlantic @ £20 - and some speaker cable - Gale XL189 @ 99p per meter.

Alternatively check out some of the good deals you can get on Second Hand and Ex-Demo kit ... on your list could be NAD C320 amp and C521i CD player, maybe older Arcam Alpha series amps and CD players, Rotel RA971 amps along with lots of other stuff that you'll get good deal on buying second hand.

I've not tested any of this kit but all have good reputations ... give Richer Sounds a ring and try to get to listen to some of it with your own CDs.

Vikki

3. WOMBATWILSON

WOMBATWILSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so nope dont have to match just want a good system for the money.

And that`s where i went(RS) and the shop in bristol told me they dont have a demo room anymore just a 14 day home trial.

4. WOMBATWILSON

WOMBATWILSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any1 else have any suggestions.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Mate, if your going to get a Cambridge Audio amplifier, make sure you get the A5 / A5i, not the A300 or A500. The A5(i) is an extremely good amplifier for the money, but the A500 (and presumably therefore the A300) is not. Trust me on this, I had an A500, and it was DULL!

Get the A5, or look second hand and get a second hand NAD / Pioneer A400 / Rotel amplifier.

I'd second the suggestion about Mission speakers, a good speaker to go with a Cambridge Audio amp if thats what you go for.

Sunday Ironfoot suggests an all Marantz system with Mission speakers. Should you take his advice, a careful audition is recommended - I can imagine that being ear piercingly bright.

Cambridge CD players are pretty good for the money, I'd try and find a second hand CD6 if I were you, this is by far the best Cambridge Audio CD player. If you go for the CD5 however, try and get a second hand CA DAC2 or DAC3 from the internet, shouldnt cost more than £100 for a DAC3, and it should give your system another nice boost.