Help with DAB please?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by sloter, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sloter

sloter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm after some advice on a couple of aerials please? I've just bought a Sony CMT-HX9DAB I've never had a DAB radio before but the free aerial that comes with it is a bit rubbish so I want to put in a proper aerial and whilst I'm at it I might as well put in a standard FM aerial also. I would like if possible to not have to mount the aerials outside (I just don't fancy doing a Rod Hull). So I was wondering if I could get away with putting them in my loft? So the few questions I have are? Which DAB aerial should I go for I've seen loads on the web but what's the best? And the same with the FM aerials. What's all this DB's and What is the fwd gain and front to back ratio? Will the coax cable make a difference at all? As I see some that are cheap and others that are not so cheap I also want to put a couple of Systems of both the FM and DAB aerials so will I need something to improve the performance if I have more radios off the one aerial?

Sorry if these questions are stupidly simple but it's all new to me.
    Many thanks in advance for your help

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,295
    I use an aerial like this and it's in the loft.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=29196&doy=21m1

I mounted it on the dividing wall between the houses and connected it to a portable radio in the loft on a short co-ax. I pointed it in different directions until I could get the most stations and strongest signal on the DAB signal strength meter.