Question Help with CPU upgrade for Lightroom

Samsun

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a PC I only really use for occasional Lightroom (v6) editing, and it's pretty basic so I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU. The specs are:

G3258 @4.0ghz
ASRock H81M-HDS MB
8GB DDR3
240gb SSD
No dedicated gfx

I don't want to spend much so was thinking of going 2nd hand from CEX. I can get an i5 4440 for £70 or a 4460 for £75. My questions are:

1. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade considering my requirements?
2. Could I use my current stock cooler on the new CPU or would I need a new one?
3. Would I be better off putting my money into something else, maybe a gfx card?

Thanks all

1. It depends on what sort of editing you do, how satisfied you are with the current performance and what sort of performance improvement you'd want to make it worthwhile.

2. IIRC The Haswell i5s did ship with a slightly different varient of the cooler with a copper center. Later generations stuck with the all aluminium one though, so it may well work if you don't get the stock cooler with the new CPU.

3. See #1.

Thanks both. Pretty basic editing really, just a few slider adjustments in the develop module and cropping etc. All using raw and then converting to jpg.

It's quite Laggy at the moment, zooming into an image and scrolling through them stutters for example. Exporting is quite slow but not too bothered about that.

For the sake of 50quid once I've traded my current cpu in I think I'll give it a go

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom