1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with correct choice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yan9, Mar 31, 2005.

1. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like some advice regarding the choice of equipment for my requirments please.
    At present I have a Panasonic sky box and panasonic video recorder.
    I would like to purchase a HDD-DVD type recorder and a freeview type receiver ( I would still like to keep the video for playback of old tapes) or a freeview PVR-HDD recorder.
    I would prefer not to subscribe to sky + only because of the extra premium, at present I have the sky family package mainly for the Eurosport channel.
    I want to be able to watch or record both sky and freeview.( a double tuner PVR-HDD would be ok but I do not think I can record from sky with one).
    I would also like to be able to go into the sky tv guide and set programmes to record in the personal planner and have this start my recorder if possible, the same with a freeview epg.
    I hope I have made this all understandable and I am in the correct area thanks for any help.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If I were you I'd wait for a DVD/HDD machine with a freeview tuner. They should be along in the next few months. The hassle of wiring two external boxes, the TV and the recorder not to mention the multiple timers, IMHO, makes it worth the wait.

'Auto-Start' / 'External Link' arrangements to start recording automatically from external box timers work OK, but there is a snag that switching on the external box for any reason starts the recorder unless you have disabled the auto-start.

Also, to use two external tuners with any recorder would almost certainly need a scart switch boxas as recorders have 2 scarts - 1 in and 1 out.
    There is usually another input (on the front) for Composite/s-viddeo and audio but this would need a scart converter lead from one of the boxes.

3. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eddyad
    Thanks for the reply I think I will take your advice and wait for a HDD/DVD Freeview recorder.
    My main aim is to have EPG control/ activation of HDD recording from both SKY and freeview receivers, I don't know if this will ever be possible though.
    For an oldy like me it would be much easier than setting timers on two receivers and a HDD/DVD recorder.
    Thanks again.

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its already possible with Philips 720

has built-in EPG which can be set up to programme both/either tuner + switch channels on both tuners (via I/R dongle)

- doesn't come with freeview tuner + but you buy one for £30

- only has the 2 scarts sockets, so unless you daisy chain the tuners you would have to connect to TV with component or S-Video connections

5. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jethro
    I may not be explaining correctly or even understanding correctly come to that, this happens with technology when you get older, but if I go in to my standard sky box tv guide and select a programme to view at a later time I notice that i get the option to autoview and series link.
    Is it possible to have this autostart and stop any HDD/DVD recorder and also if I purchased a freeview receiver is the same possible.
    This for me would be the easiest option if possible, but please correct me if I am wrong or their is an easier way.
    Thanks for the help.

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eddyad covered the other options really - i just threw in an alternative cure

your problem is always going to be recording from sky planner with active link + perfect for programming recordings but - it'll record while you're just watching too + you'll be able to rewind live TV :) + HD recordings are a snip to delete

actually that doesn't sound too bad

i cant see your particular situation changing much whether you wait for HD with built-in freeview or whether you just buy a seperate freeview tuner

7. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To make things simple for me, can a HDD/DVD recorder be activated from sky planner and from the same type of planner on freeview, or does the HDD/DVD recorder have to control the Sky and freeview.
    I do not really understand the part about the recorder starting up when switched on, do you mean it is always recording what you are watching.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think most types of HD recorder can be control by Sky planner (or freeview timer)

it's a mode of recorder operation that monitors activity of a scart socket- it merely starts/stops the recording whilst ever there's a scart signal to record, which is whenever the sky timer trips on/off, but equally when you manually switch the sky tuner on/off (the recorder mode doesn't differentiate) - unlike when the recorder controls the tuner (which is the way my Philips works)

9. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jethro
    thanks for being so patient with me I understand a lot more now.
    After your answer i have another question regarding the HDD/DVD controlling the tuners as per your Phillips but I will post tomorrow, a lot for an oldy to take in for one day and also give you a rest.
    Thanks again for your help.

10. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    With regards to a HDD/DVD recorder controlling the sky and freeview this to me then seems the better way to go because of the problems of the recorder starting and stopping when trying to view the tuners if set to record anything via tuner control. Can you please verify if I have got it correct please.
    What is the procedure for controlling a recording of sky and freeview from the HDD/DVD, is it a simple one click like the sky type planner or timer operation similar to a VCR.

11. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all HD recorders (from around £299) can record from Sky or Freeview tuner

only a very few can 'control' the external tuner (switch channels on it automatically by infra-red connection)

only a handful have a built-in free EPG (point n click programming)

only the Philips 720 (£450) can record from Sky and/or Freeview, switch channels on both boxes, all from the one built-in EPG

there are lot of other reasons/features you might consider before buying any machine & whilst the 720 covers those, it prolly wont cover all your needs - worthwhile putting in a bit of research & here's some other comments on the Philips 720

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192366

12. yan9

yan9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jethro
    Thanks very much for the reply and help.
    I will have a look through thread on the Phillips 720 I am very interested in how the EPG controls recordings.
    I will also have a read up on the user manuals of some other models.
    Thanks again.