Question Help with cooling new AV cupboard

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by leeovery, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. leeovery

leeovery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

So I’m in the process of assembling a unit from Next and am planning where to cut holes for my av gear.

The back is solid, as is the bottom of the unit. The partitions between the sections are also solid. The doors are solid too. So essentially there will be zero natural airflow.

I have a Denon X4400, PS4 Pro, Sky Q and Nvidia Shield which will all run inside the enclosed unit.

I’m looking for a little guidance on the best setup to keep everything cool.

Looking at perhaps venting the “floor” of the unit in the compartments which will hold the AV equipment. Then venting the shelves internally so the hot air can rise. But this then means hot air from the lower device will be moving into the compartment above and therefore heating up another unit. Perhaps I’m better to exhaust each compartment individually?

I’m thinking of installing exhaust fans on the back of the unit, either 2 fans at the top of the 2 compartments, or 4 fans at the back if I don’t vent the internal shelves. But then this feels overkill.

Do I need to look at air intake fans as well as exhaust fans?? Or can I simply create lower intake vents and rely on convection with exhaust fans at the rear top?

I’ve included a photo of the partially assembled unit. The left and Center sections will contain the AV equipment. The back hardboard pieces are in place so you can tell which way around the unit goes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m intending on buying the AC Infinity fans and controller from Amazon.

Thanks!!
    Lee

Attached Files:

2. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    A cabinet fan from AC Infinity will probably be your best bet. Have some ventillation at the front, at or near the bottom, and fit an outlet fan at the top on the back or side. It'll draw through the cold air from the front and exhaust the warm air through the back.

3. leeovery

leeovery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I’m now thinking that I’ll cut air intakes in the “floor” of the unit and the shelves and remove most of the back board in the left and centre sections.

I don’t think I’ll need fans that way as that should create sufficient space for natural airflow.

Anyone disagree?

I have ordered ACInfinity fans to place on top of the AVR to draw the cool air up through the unit.

With removing the bulk of the back board from the unit I wouldn’t have anywhere to mount the fans really anyway, other than the side of the unit. But this would be daft wouldn’t it, considering the unit would effectively have no back to it now??

Lee

4. leeovery

leeovery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer any advice here please?

Will removing the backboards in the unit along with air intake vents in the floor and shelves create sufficient airflow?

The doors of the unit will remain closed and unvented but as I said there will effectively be no back and vented floor and shelves.

The unit will be backed up to a wall but with at least 10-20cm clearance.

5. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Yes, I reckon that'll be fine. My unit is closed everywhere but the back, and half up against a wall. I have a couple of AC Infinity exhaust fans sitting on top of the hottest bits of equipment, and not had any issues yet.

6. leeovery

leeovery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome thank you for taking the time to reply. Helps to have at least one other person saniety check my plan :)

I have a couple of these coming today for the AVR. The rest will take care of themselves I suspect.

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JLV4BWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wID1AbFT6AFPY

7. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    AC Infinity's do an amazing job. I have a very enclosed AV Unit - Alphason Element 2500. I use an AC Infinity T8 on my X3400H and it does keep it cool. The Alphason cabinets have slots cut in the base of the unit for airflow

8. wolvesphil

wolvesphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've just come to this thread for something to cool my Denon AVR - any ideas where I can source on of those AC Infinity T8's?