1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with converting s-video and rgb sources to component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by PeteCallaway, Aug 27, 2004.

1. PeteCallaway

PeteCallaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cross posted from the Plasma and LCD forum when I realised this would probably be a better place to ask ;)

------------

Hi all,

I'm trying to sort out the simplest way of getting a number of different sources to feed into the component inputs of my plasma screen.

I have 2 x RGB Scart sources and 1 x s-video source.

Is it possible to convert s-video to scart? I was thinking I could then feed this to an RGB to component box.

Is there another, simpler way that I've not thought of?

Thanks for any help
    Pete

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Scart leads can carry several different signal types - composite, S-Video & RGB.
    RGB can easily be converted to component with a converter from companies such as www.js-technology.com but I am not aware of any standalone converters for S-Video to component. This can however be done by many of the newer AV receivers such as the Denon 3803/5 etc.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    PeteCallaway

SCART is a type of AV Socket or Plug and a SCART Cable carries Video and/or Audio signals between two SCART sockets.

A SCART Socket/Plug/Cable can carry Composite, S-Video and RGB Component video signals - depending on the source and receive kit being used (not all kit has all three options enabled).

RGB Component signals (4 core) can be relatively cheaply (£150) converted to YUV Component (3 core) without loosing too much signal quality.

Converting Composite and S-Video is another matter - you could use a low cost/quality stand alone unit (£100) to convert these signals to YUV Component though don't expect decent video pictures or as MarkE19 suggests many £500+ AV Receivers now offer this 'facility'.

Better still is a proper Home Theatre Video Processor and the DVDO iScanPro (c£250) and iScanUltra (c£500) are the lowest cost/decent quality processors I'd suggest/use/supply - you can set them to output RGBHV or YUV Progressive Component video.

See http://www.dvdo.com/pro/index.html

I'd avoid your idea of converting Composite and S-Video to RGB+Composite (that's the flavour of RGB you get down SCART cables) and then converting that signal to YUV using an RGB2YUV converter - it would look horrid.

If budget allows you could use the £950 DVDO iScanHD to convert RGB+C, S-Video and Composite signals to Progressive YUV or RGBHV - this will give you the best results by far.

Best regards

Joe