Help with connectors, dvi,hdmi,component etc

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by timmillwood, Jan 1, 2007.

1. timmillwood

timmillwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Philips 42PF9966 Plasma TV with one DVI port, no other port on it capable of HD

I have Sky HD connected to the DVI with a HDMI to DVI lead.

I want to connect my Nintendo Wii with component, the Sky with HDMI and a Upscaler DVD (Maybe Pioneer) with HDMI

How can i do it?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Sky HD also outputs a Hi-Def signal via component. However, to connect it all up, you will need a switchbox of some description. Have a look at tmfsolutions.co.uk and see Octava HDMI 3x2 switchbox. There are others by Gefen etc. Obviously you would need a HDMI - DVI lead for the final connection to the TV. Gefen make DVI switchboxes but they seem to be more expensive.

3. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi timmillwood

I had a quick look at your TV. Looks good and has all the appropriate connectors. I have learn't quite a lot about TV's and everything associated with them over the past few weeks - probably enough now to write a book.

Firstly, I think you might be in error when you say "no other port on it capable of HD". According to the specs you have 2 X component + 1 x HDMI. That means you have 3 HD compatible inputs. Two of them are analog and one is digital. Don't worry about that - the quality is the same. There is much discussion about this but don't worry about it.

You say you are already using the HDMI input - fine. Connect your Wii using component - this should consist of 3 x RCA connectors (usually RGB) for video and probably a yellow and white for audio. It may have a digital audio option as well. Either way you TV should handle what you want.

4. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Timmillwood,
    I had a look at the spec and manual for the 42PF9966, you have the following inputs available. Ext 1. RGB Scart, Ext 2. RGB Scart, DVI.

So you have a couple of options open to you - 1. You connect the Wii to the Plasma using the official RGB scart (£29.99 @ Game) on Ext 1. You connect your DVD also via RGB Scart on EXT 2 and use DVI port for Sky HD.

2. Wait to see if Wii comes out with a HDMI cable and purchase a HDMI splitter.

3. Use an amp that provides video switching and upscaling.

Hope that helps

pemberto

5. timmillwood

timmillwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am very tempted...

I want to get a full Pioneer setup, but as a student i will have to get it in bits, might look into a new amp!

The TV i have now has 3 scarts (two of which are RGB), a composite and a DVI, no HDMI or Component.

I was thinking i would get the component wii cable, plug that into a component to dvi adapter, then into a dvi switch. The Sky and DVD from HDMI to DVI with an adapter then into the switch, the switch will then go into the TV.

6. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You could also look at a video processor. I currently use a Lumagen for all my video feeds (Svideo, Component SD & HD, HDMI) and then have a single DVI cable to my Plasma.

I also feed all my consoles, PS2, Xbox and Xbox360 via a Zektor Component Video/Audio switcher. The video is passed to the Lumagen and the audio to my amp.

Pemberto

7. timmillwood

timmillwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seems about the same price as a pioneer amp!

8. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just options at the end of the day. Me, I am wating for the new amps to support the HD audio formats and then I may route all via the amp.:)