1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Kopite4Ever, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    after reading some threads im still abit confused about what connections id need !
    i watch the tv using the RF2 output on the downstairs skybox using the official sky magic eye so i can change channels.
    i use the standard ps2 scart lead to play the ps2 &
    my dvd player is connected from an s-video output from my dvd player to a scart input to the tv. and i a channel AV2S to view.

now i will be using all these things again when i order my plasma and wont be bothering with pc's into it or anything like that.

so what conections, boards etc will i have to have to buy ?

any thoughts will be a bighelp.

ps i havnt 100% decided on which plasma im getting but that shouldnt matter right ?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Matters quite a lot actually. Sounds like you are considering the panasonic PW6 though. Does your DVD do component video? Do you have an AV amp yet? You can probably use the video switching facility built into most decent amps to simplify things and cut down on boards and connections. Get a component kit for the PS2, and if your DVD does RGB scart but not component, you could consider one of the Pioneer amps that does scart switching, use a spare optical input for PS2, that works well, you can go straight to a scart socket on the plasma, or for best PQ use a JS converter to component or VGA

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    im sorry lad i forgot to mention my dvd is an all in one system. was in a rush! its a pioneer DCS 303 ! i will have to check wether my dvd player does component video
    also tv im looking for is indeed the PW6 or the pioneer !
    thanks for the reply

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, changes all. Frankly you will struggle with this. The video output is barely up to the job of driving a 42" screen, and it has no switching capability. You could do this by connecting the 303 to sky VCR socket, and from sky TV socket to the plasma. Stay with the component kit for the ps2, take it to the vga port with a 3 phono to 15 pin cable, or buy a component board. Sky sound with a stereo audio lead, and ps2 with an optical. That will all work, but it's not very good, I can promise serious upgrade-itis will set in.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    so basically new dvd player to get a quality picture. shame as i like my all in set. suppose i could just buy a new player and connect it to the all in one system to keep the surround sound untill i can afford new gear as the plasma is setting me back abit of £££