Help with connections to Yamaha RXV461

MJI1961

Hi all,
I need help with connecting up the following to my Yamaha RXV461:
PS3
Humax Freesat Box HDR1100
Panasonic TV TH 42PZ82BA (Which has just two HDMI Ports)
And I have a Chromecast to hook up to the TV as well which I can do but need to make sure that whilst I'm watching streaming content I can get sound through the Yamaha.

The reason I'm asking is that up until recently I've watched Netflix through my Humax which in turn is connected to the Yam by optical cable. I've now subbed to Disney+ and watch using the Chromecast but I only get the sound through the TV speakers (which to be fair ISA bit of a come down from the Yam...)
At the moment the PS3 and Humax are connected to the Yam using optical cables and to the TV with HDMI.
I guess I'm looking for a fresh way of wiring all this up!

Sorry if I've (a) posted in the wrong place and (b) come across as a bit daft...

Thanks in advance for any help.
MJ

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can only suggest that you either buy an HDMI switch in order to expand the number of HDMI devices you can connect to the TV or consider buying a more recent AV receiver inclusive of HDMI inputs?

MJI1961

Hi
Thanks for the speedy response!
I should have mentioned that I've just purchased an HDMI three way splitter, apologies!
Could I ask how you would connect all this up please?
I've got HDMI ports on the Yamaha but I've never connected anything up to them tbh. Bit confused by them...
Thanks Dante
MJ

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You need an HDMI switch as opposed to a splitter. A splitter take one input and splits it to several outputs while a switch takes several inputs and allows you to switch which one will be output viua a single output.

Leave everything as you currently have it, but connect the HDMI switch to one of your TV's HDMI inputs. Now connect your additional HDMI devices to the inputs on the switch. THe switch allows you to select which one will then be output to the TV.

If you've HDMI inputs on the AV receiver then you technically do not need the switch. Simply connect your HDMI sources directly to the AV receiver via HDMI. HDMI can carry both auidio and video. The source will output both to the AV receiver and the AV receiver would passthrough the video out to your TV via the AV receiver's HDMI output.

Also note that depending upon the source, you can potentially access higher quality audio via HDMI than if using S/PDIF optical. HDMI fascilitates the conveyance of HD audio formats such as TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio as well as multichannel PCM. These cannot be conveyed via optical.

MJI1961

Ok
I've just looked at the hdmi device I purchased and it is a switch and not a splitter (apologies again...) And the rear of the Yamaha has three HDMI ports marked "OUT" "DVD" and "DTV/CBL"
My TV at the moment is not connected to the Yamaha so should I make a connection from TV hdmi to Yam hdmi? I've been told that I can connect the Chromecast directly to the Yamaha also into an HDMI port. Is that correct?
(Crikey mate, I think I need a bloody good digital plumber here! It was all so simple years ago...)
MJ
IMG_20211012_101007.jpg
IMG_20211012_100831.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
The three ports you mention are inputs. There's also an output. Connec the HDMI output from a source to an HDMI input on the AV receiver. Now connect the AV receiver's HDMI output to an HDMI input on the TV.

The labelling isn'yt important and you can connect whatever source you like to the inputs regardless of the labelling. THe AV receiver allow you to rename these inputs.sources anyway if you so wish.

From the image you've posted, your receiver appears to have one HDMI output and 2 inputs?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
By the way, whatever your AV receiver is, it isn't an RXV461. THe V461 predates HDMI and had no HDMI inputs or outputs.

MJI1961

Erm...this is my Yamaha...I can assure you it is an RXV461...

Attachments

• IMG_20211012_103110.jpg
    IMG_20211012_103110.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I don't know then. It isn't listed as having HDMI.

Maybe revert back to the switch solution? I've a feeling that you model may not include HDMI audio support?

Connect the switch to one of the TV's HDMI inputs. Connect your HDMI sources to the inputs on the switch. Use the existing optical audio connection to pass the sudio through your TV and out to the AV receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Confirmed.

The V461 can only pasthrough video sourced via HDMI and has no ability to access audio sourced via HDMI:

Stick to using the switch to expand the number of HDMI devices you can connect to the TV. You'll have to rely upon the optical audio connection from the TV to the AV receiver to pass the associated audio through the TV and out to the AVR.

MJI1961

I don't know then. It isn't listed as having HDMI.

Maybe revert back to the switch solution? I've a feeling that you model may not include HDMI audio support?

Connect the switch to one of the TV's HDMI inputs. Connect your HDMI sources to the inputs on the switch. Use the existing optical audio connection to pass the sudio through your TV and out to the AV receiver.
Right. I still need to connect the Chromecast to give me sound through the Yamaha. I need to do this step by step. Just to reiterate these are the items I need to connect up: PS3, HUMAX, TV, CHROMECAST. And this is how they are currently connected:
PS3: hdmi to TV, optical cable to Yamaha.
HUMAX: hdmi to TV, optical cable to Yamaha.
Chromecast not connected yet.
TV has just two HDMI ports.
The Yamaha has the hdmi ports as indicated on the photo.
Plus I have the hdmi switch.

Phew! So.
Step by step (be gentle with me...)
What would be the best way to connect all this up?

Thanks for your patience...

MJI1961

Confirmed.

The V461 can only pasthrough video sourced via HDMI and has no ability to access audio sourced via HDMI:

Stick to using the switch to expand the number of HDMI devices you can connect to the TV. You'll have to rely upon the optical audio connection from the TV to the AV receiver to pass the associated audio through the TV and out to the AVR.
Unfortunately there is no optical connection on the TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd seriously consider looking at buying a more up to date AV receiver, one inclusive of HDMI inputs that accept both video and audio.

Your current receiver hasn't the number of S/PDIF inputs (optical and or digital coax) that you are going to need or the ability to access audio via HDMI.

You could consider adding an optical hub, but things are starting to get over complicated.

MJI1961

Ok Dante I understand. My Yamaha is quite old now but works marvellously especially when watching dvds. Quite brilliant sound. But I can see the limitations. I guess it's the same with my TV. It's an old Panasonic plasma. Great picture but has limited connectivity. Looks like I'll have to have a think about this.
Kind regards,
MJ

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom