Help with connections to 436XDE !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wannaplasma, Apr 30, 2007.

1. wannaplasma

wannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just acquired a Pio DVR545 hard disk DVD recorder and rather than faff around trying to get the connections right (maybe!) I thought I'd pick a few brains here and save myself some grief. So here goes.

DVD manual states that a VCR should be incorporated as the first item in the set up so .............

VCR in From outside aerial
    VCR out to DVD Digital In

DVD Digital In From VCR
    Digital Out Loop to DVD RF In
    RF In Loop from Digital Out
    RF Out To 436 Monitor Box

Monitor Box Ant Digital In From DVD RF Out

Finally
    DVD HDMI to Monitor Box HDMI Input 4.

Hopefully that's it but all advice gratefully accepted esp by SWMBO who doesn't appreciate my vocab on these sort of occasions when things don't go quite as planned!

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I have no specific advice , but some comments.

Based on the ideal that the fewer connections the better and the fewer modulators the better:

Is it really necessary to include the VCR in the RF chain?
    That is only required if you intend to continue making recordings on the VCR ... and nearly all users cease using that very quickly once they become adapted to the quality and convenience of a DVDR/Hard disk recorder.... despite thinking that it may be convenient to use both systems in parallel.

Usually a baseband connection from the VCR to the DVDR is all that is required to permit transfers of precious recordings.

I don't know Pioneer machines in any detail, but you make no mention of a scart link between it and your monitor.
    Can this not offer other convenient link functions which are not provided by the HDMI link?

3. wannaplasma

wannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the reply Gavtech.

I hear what you say about the string of modulators by routing through the VCR but was thinking about just keeping this in the chain for those occasions when I'd want to record 2 progs at the same time. Then again, maybe they'd be so seldom that the degradation of signal wouldn't be worth it.

Not too sure what you mean by "baseband" - can you explain plse?

Re the link to the monitor( read media box) I had assumed that the HDMI would replace the component +audio that I currently have. What would I be losing by not having a Scart?

Thanks

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Apologies - I should have used a more transparent term. Baseband refers to simple unmodulated signals that pass in their raw form ... such as scart connections ... which is probably what I should have said.
    Yes - HDMI will take care of the audio and video for you ... and a scart link is not actually necessary, but depending on the facilities of the connected equipment, some convenience functions may be had additionally if a scart is used.
    An example of the sort of thing I mean would be - if you turned on the DVDR the TV may turn on automatically ...etc.

You would have to check whether the bits of equipment you are connecting are equipped for such facilities.

Low quality scarts can be used for this sort of job as they are simple data links. [ Fully wired though. ]

5. wannaplasma

wannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks again. I believe that the DVD & TV will interface via the Pio SR+ system but will bear in mind what you say about the scart if it doesn't work via the HDMI.

Cheers