Question Help with Connections Please

jayboro

Novice Member
Hi, I'm a new user and spent a long time trying to find some help first before asking. Unfortunately I can't find what I need so I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice.

I have a 55" Samsung TV (7000 series) with 4 HDMI connections and 1 digital audio. A Marantz AV with 4 HDMI and 2 digital audio. A blu-ray player, Humax satellite receiver, X-Box 1, Now TV box, kodi box and 5.1 surround sound speakers.

There aren't enough HDMI connections to connect everything to the TV, so I have connected the 360 and blu-ray to the AV. I've connected the AV (using the ARC connection), Now TV, Kodi and Humax directly to the TV. I haven't used any of the digital audio connections (I don't know of they are better than HDMI).

Can anybody please tell me if this is the best/right way to connect? It seems to work ok but I'm not sure if i'm getting the best sound or not. Thank you in advance.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ideally, you would use HDMI for all connections.

The Hub (TV vs. AVR) - the AVR is often the better Hub, especially so for any Sources which support HD Audio.

The Hub (Capabilities) - you don't say which AVR you have and if it puts any restrictions on the Video signals it can pass (if you are passing 4K UHD signals).

Joe

jayboro

Novice Member
Hi Joe,
Thank you for the response. It shows my lack of knowledge when I didn’t think to include the AV model. It’s a Marantz NR1403. I don’t think it is 4K capable but I’m not sure. Just reading the spec it has 6 HDMI slot not 4, but one is on the front and only designed for occasional use.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sources - to confirm (your Xbox changes version in Post #1 :)).

Humax Settop (1080p)
Now TV Box (1080p)
Kodi Box (?)
Xbox (?)

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
4K Sources - to optimise the video you will connect those direct to the TV.

HD Sources - you can connect to the AVR.

TV - you can use HDMI ARC or Optical for TV audio (Inc Connected Sources) to the AVR.

ARC - requires you to enable CEC which is not guaranteed to work so Optical is your fall back.

Audio - ARC and Optical will impose some limitations (vs HDMI to the AVR) but that is where you are at unless you upgrade the AVR.

Joe

PS The XB1S Outputs 4K UHD with HDR and HDCP 2.2.

The Dreamer

Power is everything Off at the wall when you are connecting or disconnecting HDMI cables.

Joe
This! ^^^^

I managed to fry an HDMI input on a TV by ‘just’ swapping over a cable with the TV and DVD player still powered up.

No matter how tempting it is - always power down your stuff first. I know it’s frustrating waiting for things to boot back up - but not half as frustrating as finding that the TV inputs no longer work at all!:blush:

Top Bottom