Help with connections please

Phil Russell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Connecting a VRC Scart output RGB to a TV with component input: Hi ... I seek advice because I am getting very confused.
I have an oldish VCR that only has scart sockets. Looking at the manual I see some pins are labelled 'red, green, blue' for the video signals. It also has audio pins. This makes me think it has an RGB output. A new TV has 'component' input ... the normal 5 phono plug type, 2 of which are audio. There is no scart input on the TV ... only other inputs are HDMI.
So, question: is there a cable / converter to connect the vcr to the TV? I believe I cannot just connect the RGB output to the component input.
What is the solution? Or is it the end of my VCR?

All help appreciated.
Cheers, Phil

Welcome to the forum.

VCR's will only pass through RGB from another connected input. They do not output RGB themselves so there is nothing to be gained, apart from which RGB is not compatible with so-called 'component'.

So your best form of connection will be composite... unless it is an S-VHS machine in which case an S video connection will be available.

Additional - usually designated component inputs on TV's, have one phono socket of the three which can be used for composite input. Check your TV manual - or it should be indicated on the back beside the relevant sockets.

Thank you for the swift replies ... as an 'old wrinkly' I am learning, slowly.
To continue: The VCR scart diagram also lists 'Video output' and 'video output ground' plus the same for 'video input'. I am not interested in video input ...
So... could the 'video output' pins on the scart be the 'composite' video signal you talk about? The TV manual (Panasonic TX 50DX700B) does show a single cable (phono) connection input for video from a 'Camcorder / video equipt'. This goes to one of the three sockets shown for video on the 'component' diagram. Plus, of course two audio plugs. If this is all true then maybe I just need a scart plug wired to deliver the single video line plus the two (presumably left and right) audio lines. Is this true? The VCR is a Panasonic NV-HD625B unit. Am I right?
Thanks again
Cheers, Phil

Yes - the standard composite output comes out on pin 19 of the scart together with its associated ground... and yes also to the two audio connections.

An alternative to a scart to phono lead, that you could use would be a scart adaptor ( some examples here) plus a standard triple phono lead.

If you opt for that option, understand that these scart adaptors can be wired either as an input scart or an output scart with respect to the equipment.
To ensure you don't get the wrong type it is better to buy switched adaptors which allow you to use them in either mode. The pictures I have linked to include some of that type.

Absolutely superb information ... thank you Gavtech.
I have spent three days looking for information but got confused by the replies. Thank you.
Cheers, Phil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom