Help With Connections Please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blu-tac man, Sep 29, 2004.

1. blu-tac man

blu-tac man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All - another newbie, so please be gentle :)

Finally persuaded the missus that we do really want/need a plasma based home entertainment system, and, after extensive reading of these Forums, I think I've also picked out the other bits and pieces I would like to go with it.

Basically I'm looking at the PWD6 as the monitor, the Pioneer DV-575 as the DVD player, the Sony STR-DB795 as the receiver and a set of Mordant Short Premier Plus speakers. All have received rave reviews, and I hope will work well both together, and with my Sky+ digibox.

To link them together I'm looking at the Quintro+, and would value your thoughts on the best way to do so, and the leads/cables I'll need.

Starting at the monitor, all I've read points to the best connection being made using a JS RGB to VGA converter. For this presumably I'll need a scart to VGA lead to connect the converter to the monitor, and a scart to scart lead to connect from the converter to the Quintro.

The Sony dosn't appear to have any scart inputs/outputs, so what's the best way to connect the other items to it, and it to them? And how, and to what, should I connect my Sky+ box and the Pio DVD player?

All thoughts/comments/criticism gratefully received.

And finally, thanks for taking the time to read this.

blu-tac

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You'll need an optical cable to hook the audio of your Sky+ box to the sony and a coax from the dvd player to the sony.

You will have to manually switch on the sony (using the remote) and the Quintro when you want to switch between dvd and Sky. How much of a pain this is to you is relative, but does multiple exponetionally if the wife has to use the system :evil: Its worth investing in a decent all in one remote that can handle macros, such as the pronto, so it becomes just one button press.

Other than that, I'd consider getting the component board and hooking up the DVD via component so you can still use its progressive scan output that should be superior to the interlaced RGB output; also this would remove the need for the quintro.

3. blu-tac man

blu-tac man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks m8

any other thoughts?

blu-tac

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Exactly as Brian says but going along the sky box into jstech rgb to vga converter into the vga on the screen.gets rid of the quintro.
    Looks much neater.It is the way I am going to go about it.

Phil