help with connections on sony all in one

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by edbic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. edbic

edbic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I've just bought a new TV (a Sony 40EX7232) and have it connected to a sony amp along with a Sky HD box, an xbox 360 and Sony Blu ray.

The Sky is connected via optical, with the HDMI to the TV,the Xbox is HDMI and optical into the amp and the BD is HDMI into the amp. The amp is then HDMI to the TV.

The new TV has internet widgets which I can't now get sound from as its audio is not connected to the amp. Is there a better way to get these connections sorted so that the Sky and Xbox get 5.1 through the amp and the TV internet video can be heard.

Cheers

2. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The Xbox can output 5.1 audio over HDMI, so you could unplug the optical going from it to the AMP, and then connect the TV to the AMP with that same optical cable..........

So you will switch between optical sources when using the Sky and TV sources, the blu ray player and Xbox will be switching between the HDMI sources.....

You should still get audio from the TV speakers however, but you dont really need to use them if you have and amp and speakers..........

3. edbic

edbic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - will give it a try tonight

4. Snakle

Snakle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a SONY BDVE380 and have my xbox and Virgin box connected via HDMI to my AMP as well as my Blu ray which is incorporated into the amp and use a two way hdmi cable to transfer sound from my tv to my amp.

5. edbic

edbic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which input do you need to have the amp on to get the sound from the TV? As it stands, my amp has 3 HDMI inputs (called TV, SAT and BD) and 2 optical inputs (called TV and Sat) . My BD player is in the BD input, Sky goes straight to the TV with the optical out from the Sky to the TV Optical in, and the Xbox goes to the Sat HDMI and Sat opt in. The amp then goes from HDMI out to the TV.

Not sure how to set the amp to get sound from the TV?

6. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    If your tv is not ARC enabled you need to plug TV into amp's optical input marked TV. Then you then need to plug BD into HDMI marked BD and Xbox OR Sky in HDMI marked Sat (if sky then sky also into optical marked sat - I believe you can configure e380 to use this instead of hdmi 'sat' audio). Plug other box into TV, plus other straight to TV. Looks like you will then only get 5.1 from whichever box you plug into amp, ie xbox or sky, other will probably be stereo sent via optical from TV.