Question Help with connections for new setup

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by BoxerfanUK, Jul 27, 2018.

1. BoxerfanUK

BoxerfanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

After 10 years with my trusty (non-smart) Panasonic plasma, and having just ordered a LG65C8 OLED I’m wondering what is the best way to connect it all together?

System will be;
    LG65C8 OLED (on order)
    Xbox oneX (on order)
    SkyQ 2TB + SkyQ router
    Nintendo Wii (hers!)
    Arcam Solo music.
    Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanding loudspeakers (pair)

The Arcam is currently only connected to the 3050 speakers. It also has has 4 x HDMI sockets (1.4 only) as well as Optical in, amongst other connections.

I’m considering a soundbar but just gonna wait and see what the sound is like from the TV. The C8 will be wall mounted and hence won’t have the stand to downfire the sound so I’m guessing I might have to invest in one.

Ideally, I would like to connect the Arcam up to the TV so that I could watch music videos but have the sound through the 3050’s. I don’t particularly want all my TV viewing through the 3050’s so if the LG TV sound is not up to it then the soundbar would solve that.

I’m thinking of an Optical cable to link TV to Arcam and Hdmi from everthing else into the TV with HDMI ‘arc’ for a possible soundbar. It all sounds fairly simple but am I missing something? For example, the Arcam has HDMI ports for Game console etc but as it’s HDMI 1.4 should I forget them?

Would you do it any differently?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    The Xbox will have to be plugged direct into the TV for 2160p/4K SDR/HDR, HDMI 1.4 ports will restrict it's output to SDR 1080p. Use the game mode preset in SDR and HDR. The Wii should fine wherever you put it.

HDMI-ARC will pass PCM 2.0, Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio from anything plugged into the TV via HDMI or it's internal apps/tuner. If the Arcam has HDMI ports and supports ARC then you should not have to use an optical cable with it as optical supports the same formats as ARC.