Help with connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aqureshi, Sep 5, 2001.

1. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,<br />I'll appreciate if someone can help:<br />I have got a Sony TV with built in Analogue Sky Decoder. At the back it has the following inputs:<br />3 scart input- This is what manual says:

Acceptable Input Signal Available Output Signal

1st Scart: Acceptable Input Signal:Normal audio/video and RGB signal Available Output Signal :video/audio from TV Tuner<br /> 2nd scart: Acceptable Input Signal: Normal audio/video and S video signal Available Output Signal :video/audio from selected source<br /> 3rd Scart: Acceptable Input Signal: : Video/audio signal from Decoder Available Output Signal :video/audio/baseband signal to decoder

I also have 2 coaxial connections one at the back and similar one at the front of TV. This is what is written on them<br />R/D/D/D - L/G/S/1

For the back manual reads:

Acceptable Input Signal:No input Available Output Signal: Audio Signal(variable)<br />and the front which also has S video input<br /> <br /> Acceptable Input Signal: Normal audio/video and S video signal Available Output Signal :No outputs

<br />My video is panasonic which has 2 Scart connections at the back

At present I have got a basic Dolby Prologic Surround system(will be replacing it soon) which has coaxial connections for VCR, CD player, Sky Digi box, TV.

<br />Now I have bought a DVD(pioneer DV444) player, which is MR and has macrovision disabled.<br />I also have Sky Digital box.

I am not sure what is the best of connecting all this equipment. This is what I have drawn:

SAT to VCR: Scart Connection<br />VCR to TV Scart Connection

Now both the scarts are occupied on VCR

Aerial is fed to Aerial connection on VCR and then RF from the VCR is fed into Aerial connection on TV.

From SAT yo TV: Scart Connection

Now both scarts are occupied on SAT.

<br />Now I need to know How I connect the DVD player and Amplifier.

<br />The DVd have the following connection available:

Scart AV connection<br />Coaxial Audio Out(R & L)<br />Optical Out ( optical, coaxial)<br />Video Out- S connection as well as a single coaxial connection.

<br />I want to record from DVD to VCR , Sky to VSr as well as from Normal TV.

<br />Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Asad

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need:

VCR &gt; Sky &gt; TV (RGB scart)

aerial &gt; sky&gt; video &gt;tv (you don't need the sky pass unless you intend to output round the rest of the house)

DVD &gt; TV (s-video scart)

If you DVD player has 2 scarts you can connect one of these to the spare VCR scart.

I don't know why you would want to record DVD (remember you wont be able to record R1 DVDs on your vcr as it is not NTSC recordable)

If your dvd player doesn't have 2 scarts, you will need to connect the vcr to scart 2 on the tv and change the output source to the dvd scart. You will have to leave the tv on when you record from the dvd player however.

---------<br />Audio:

TV 2x phono out &gt; amp<br />dvd player 5.1 channel outputs &gt; amp 5.1 channel inputs.

If the audio via the tv sounds poor, you will need to connect the digibox and the vcr upto the box individually using 2x phono leads. You will then need to manually switch audio between the sources.

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Doubledoom ]</p>

3. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Don't have 2 scarts on DVD.<br />Little bit confused on the DVD connection. First the mail said I need to connect S.video from DVd to 2nd Scart on Tv as first one is already occupied by the Sky Digital. Then it says I need to connect the VCR to 2nd scart on tv.<br />What happens to DVD connection? Didn't understand what is meant by Change the output source to the DVD scart.

Can some one explain where I need to connect DVD to as all the scarts have been occupied on TV,Sky and VCR.

Cheers

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh. I missed that. I assumed that scart 3 was also s-video compatible without reading your comments that closely. It still might be so it is worth checking to see if scart 3 will take s-video.

To use the input/output facility on the second scart, you usually have to indicate in one of the tv menus which of the other sources you intend to record. ie AV1 or AV3.

Ideally:

DVD (scart out) &gt; TV (s-video scart)<br />Digibox (scart out) &gt; TV (RGB scart)<br />Digibox (scart out) &gt; VCR (scart)

Your problem is that you want to record from the dvd player (for some strange reason) and this causes a few problems as you purchased a dvd player with insufficient scarts. However, you can use the input/ouput scart on the television to pass the signal from the dvd to the VCR but to do this you will need to connect the VCR to the input/output scart, which you indicate is possibly the only s-video scart on your tv which the dvd uses.

If scart 3 is not s-video enabled, your best bet is to unplug the vcr from the digibox and connect it to the DVD everytime you wish to record a dvd.

Please do tell why you want to record dvds?