1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with connecting this lot!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Deba, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Deba

Deba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this. Bought a Pioneer VSX-D810s from richer sounds(£199) on saturday (Wanted yamaha vx620 but none in stock) the reciever has optical,coax,composite,component, s-video connections. I need to connect the following in the best way.

TV only has one scart,composite video,audio
    Pioneer VSX-D810s
    Panasonic TU-DSB31 digibox (2 scarts)
    Panasonic NV-HS900 SVHS video (2 scarts & svideo in/out)
    Pioneer DV515 dvd player (1 scart, optical,composite video,audio)

So far system is connected via pioneer with composite connections
    (vcr & digibox connected in normal way & dvd -> d801s -> Tv via composite) along with d/coax from dvd to pioneer for digital sound. problem with this setup is that when i switch to dvd source i have to switch off digibox to see dvd picture due to only having one scart on tv. I would also like to utilise svideo connections, the manual says you have to use the same connection type for in & outs throught the system, ie if using svideo in from dvd need use svideo out to tv. is this true for most amps? i'm sure my old sony 925 wasn't this way.

As for the d810s?, not that impressed so far,its 100w x 6 sounds more like 70-80w x 6! and the setup, what a nightmare!!. Thinking if I should return this and get something a bit better (Any reccomendations please!!, Budget £300)I'm just getting back into Home cinema, my last amp was a Sony 925 which was great!. my speakers are L&R front B&W 603s1, Center Paradigm cc150, surrounds JBL control 1G.

Will be getting Panasonic PTAE100e projector this week to add to this lot. Look forward to hooking up component from this to d801s (If I still have it!) shoudlgive good results.

If I do change receviers it must have full pre-outs as I intend to upgrade to a pre/power system in the near future.

Hope someone can help. cheers

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

If you´re not happy with the amp, take it back. Worth checking out the Denon 1602/1802 or the Yamaha that you´ve mentioned.

Most amps/receivers cannot convert video signals (apart from a couple of high end receivers, eg.Denon A1SR) so if you feed the amp an S-Video signal from the dvd player you must take an S-Video signal from the amp to the TV, you can´t convert to composite/component etc and vice versa.

With only one scart on your TV you´re rather limited so a Scart switching box may be the solution. If you´re getting a projector then that may ease the strain somewhat though depends if you want to watch DVD´s etc on both the TV & the PJ.

What you cannot do is connect it via component unless the dvd player has component video outputs. If it has´nt, you´ll have to use S-Video.

3. Deba

Deba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Jase,

I have now returned the pioneer and got the yamaha vx620 instead (They had one in the window display, got a discount also!!) Sounds much better. also got a scart -> svideo/l/r audio converter for my tv which now allows me to have all video signals switching through the amp via svideo. Shame yamaha only has one svideo monitor output, need to find a way to connect 2 svideo cables to this monitor out, one for tv & one for the panny ae100 projector I now have (Picture is great:) )