Help with connecting DVD/NTL/Xbox to my new TV...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Morph3ous, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Morph3ous

Morph3ous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently upgraded my TV to a new Toshiba 36ZP46. I would like to get the best possible picture from my NTL Cable TV, DVD player and XBOX.

I've been reading a few threads and have noticed mentions of RGB, Composite, Progressive Scan etc etc.

My TV has 3 Scart Connectors (2 of which are RGB)
    Component Video Input
    Composite Video Input
    S-Video Input
    IT also supports Progressive Scan

At present I have an old Samsung 709 DVD player (which supports RGB), but mat be upgrading this to a Pioneer DV-575A (which has both RGB and Component outputs, and supports Progressive Scan).

I will be connecting everything up to a Yamaha AV Receiver, but i'm fine with the Audio side of things. I just need some help with the Video.

MY questions are:

1) What is the difference between RGB input and Component input? Which is the best to go for?
    2) What is and should i make use of 'Progressive Scan'?
    3) What would be the best way to connect the whole lot up, giving the best picture quality?

I would like a balance between 'best picture' and price of new leads, as we're moving house and on a tight budget.

Any advice on how to hook it all up and what cables to use would be most helpful.

Cheers,

Morph3ous.

2. Morph3ous

Morph3ous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While i'm here, I may as well seek some 'Professional' advice on how to connect my VCR too...

Just to make things clear,

I want to connect a DVD/Cable TV/VCR/Xbox to my TV.

As i said above, the TV has 3 x scarts 2 of which are RGB.

Advice on how to connect for best picture as i said above, and also for ease of use when recording Cable onto VCR would be greatly apreciated.

Morph3ous

3. Morph3ous

Morph3ous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please see my other tread titled, 'All thats needed now is to figure how to connect up the TV signal?!!?' before replying...

thanks

Morph3ous