Help with component cable soldering

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some component cables chased into my walls a couple of years ago. The only problem was that I had to solder the RCAs on at one end myself.

From time to time, the solder fails, and I get no picture. This happened again today, and I decided to use some new RCAs as the old ones were getting a bit messy.

I soldered them on (looked ok), but I get no picture at all! Are some RCAs not suitable for component cables - I just used standard Maplin ones?

Any help appreciated as I really don't want to chase the walls again!

All RCA's are suitable. I would check your soldering they should keep failing.

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Is there any particular type of solder I should be using - I am just using standard Draper stuff at the moment.

The solder shouldnt be failing. Really, component video RCAs should be 75ohm, however 50ohm will still work

Can you not use the old cables to pull new ones through?

Can you post a picture?

Where in London are you?

TWO possible issues when soldering

1. Dry joint
2. Mealted cables so screen touches core

always "TIN" the connector. always "TIN" the cable, then solder together, finally crimp any cable holds ONLY when cool to avoid issue 2, above.

SOME connectors are more difficult to solder than others ;).

Andy.

Is there any particular type of solder I should be using - I am just using standard Draper stuff at the moment.

As long as it is solder with flux meant for soldering iron use and NOT plumbers solder you will be fine.

Issue could be a combination of lack of soldering skill and poor soldering iron - Dont wish to sound rude but thems the facts :smashin:.

Issue could be a combination of lack of soldering skill and poor soldering iron - Dont wish to sound rude but thems the facts :smashin:.

I think you are exactly right! I have a cheap Antex iron, and the 'bit' was too wide. I ended up buying a new iron yesterday with a smaller bit (it was cheaper than buying a new bit for the existing one!)

These leads are the only thing that I have ever soldered (hence not getting a decent iron), so my soldering skills are also very poor.

I have managed to do it now, by using some cheap plugs from Maplin. They don't look as substantial as the Neutrik ones I was using previously, but were certainly easier to solder.

Thanks for the advice.

Can you not use the old cables to pull new ones through?

Unfortunately, the channels in my walls are onyl wide enough to take the cables themselves, not any plugs - this is why I have has to 'DIY' the plugs in the first place.

Not really ideal, as the cable itself is pretty good. In my next place, I will get wider channels put in, but I don't want to go through the hassle and dust again yet!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom