1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Codec/Graphics card issue?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kane D Williams, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there

I am no computer wiz, so please be gentle!

Basically, I have Window media Player 9, DivX Player 2.5.2, Quick Time Player (quite up-to-date) and Crystal (Free) Player (latest version).

Some of my downloaded video media will not play correctly. Some shows the picture in slow motion whilst the sound is at normal speed. I actually think this may be due to my crapy slow PC? I do have a very nice PC also, but don't use this for net based stuff. I also find that when I watch stuff on the DivX or Crystal player, there appears to be a faint larger image superimposed over the top of the other. Both images are the same I think, only one is like full screen size laid over the 1/4 screen sized display. The colours appear all messed up and there are very visible horizontal lines in the picture. Sometimes, the picture appears as just sort of coloured interference? I wish I knew how to explain this better. I may try to do some screen grabs and post them.

Could this be my graphics driver? I have a SIS 5598/6326 8MB AGP card (cheap make). I also wonder if it is a simple codec problem, as WMP9 will play some files that look crap on the other players, but it still plays it slow!

Thanks for any advice.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    It may be that an 8MB graphics card just can't handle it. I would suggest the card itself needs replacing rather than the drivers - but others may know different !

3. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Your graphics card is indeed very poor.
    If you want the most efficient mpg/divx/xvid player try Bsplay. It is freeware, get it from www.vcdhelp.com under "useful tools". If that player does not play your files without juddering then your computer is just too slow.