Answered Help with choosing used components to start building my first HiFi system

Tal00

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping that I could have some advice regarding what components to buy.

I have a hearing deficiency in low frequencies, Meniere's syndrome (This is the opposite type of hearing loss one usually gets with old age where the high frequencies diminish). So this means I like my music with rich bass :)

My budget is around $1400 Canadian dollars including tax and shipping. My preference is to buy used stuff in good condition to save some money and be able to afford better stuff for the same price.

I'M my area I was able to find two interesting options for speakers:

1) KLIPSCH R26F Tower Speakers - PAIR
$580.00 - like new in open box

2) Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 Tower Speakers
$600.00 - mint condition used.

As far as amplifiers:

1)Marantz pm7001 integrated amp
$400.00 used in mint condition.

2)NAD C 326BEE Integrated Stereo Amplifier
$450.00 used in mint condition.

3) Nad 316 bee for $300

I'm not sure the NADs will be able to power those speakers.
I hear that the Marantz being a "warm sounding" amp will pair well with the "clinical sounding" Monitor Audio speakers.
I also have a 1980s Technics turn-table and having a built-in grounded pre-amp in the amplifier will be nice.
A headphone jack is always good as well :)

For playing digital media I'm thinking of using my 7 year old MacMini (it has 4GB of RAM) and only has Windows 7 Pro installed on it. No Mac OS installed at all. Can connect it to a DAC using a USB or an optical connection (although I am not sure it actually works). I have an apple music subscription and will have to use iTunes to play the music. So I need a suggestion regarding which DAC to get.

1) Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 $315 CND brand new.
2) Audioquest BEETLE DAC Optical Bluetooth USB Digital-to-Analog Converter $280 CND brand new.

Finally:

What about:
1)
NAD C 338
Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth® $1015 brand new but includes a DAC so it saves some $$
2) NAD D 3020 V2
Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC and Bluetooth® but only 30Wx2. $565 CND

Sorry for such a long list of questions.
I would really appriciate all your advice.

Tal

I have a hearing deficiency in low frequencies, Meniere's syndrome (This is the opposite type of hearing loss one usually gets with old age where the high frequencies diminish). So this means I like my music with rich bass :)

Obviously, you know more about your hearing condition than I do but I wonder if you're taking the right approach to building a hifi system.

What we hear in the present becomes the norm. Assuming your hearing problem has progressed reasonably slowly (like my typical old-age high frequency loss) then the way each of us hear things becomes the norm - the new 'standard', if you like. Therefore, when you go to a concert, for example, the sound you hear will be limited at low frequencies - that's your new 'normal'. The sound I hear will be limited at high frequencies - that's my new normal or standard. If you wish to replicate that sound at home with a hifi system, boosting the bass won't give the sound you heard - it will probably sound artificially bass heavy.

Now if your hearing had very suddenly deteriorated, then I could better understand your approach because you will be trying to recreate a sound you're still familiar with.

Can I suggest to you something completely different.

I am not sure about your hearing, but I assume either way you want the best bang for your buck

2 of these
https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR624...8&qid=1522695045&sr=8-1&keywords=mackie+mr624

1 of these
https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audi...695147&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=emotiva+preamp

Something like these
https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Speake...2695379&sr=8-25&keywords=heavy+speaker+stands

The preamp can plug to your computer to do the job your original post suggested the cambridge audio. The only difference is this can take other inputs also and has a tuner
The preout from this unit goes to the powered speakers, they have inbuilt amps and do the powering themselves.

Add in a bluetooth receiver for convenience

A few cables and you are set , well under budget. Oh, plug the tv into the preamp also and have stereo tv for youtube etc, plug your dvd player or bluray in digitally and have a good cd player.

Just an option

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
the sound you hear will be limited at low frequencies - that's your new 'normal'. The sound I hear will be limited at high frequencies - that's my new normal or standard. If you wish to replicate that sound at home with a hifi system, boosting the bass won't give the sound you heard - it will probably sound artificially bass heavy.
You make a good point! I guess that is my normal. It has been stable for at least 9 years now. I guess what I'm getting at is that I enjoy music with a good base beat. Think Take Five...

Interesting option here. It's way overpriced on Amazon.ca I found a used one for sale in mint condition. But it's a different model:
Emotiva XDA-1 Differential Reference DAC Pre-Amp
$375.00 Canadian no tax I guess shipping might be $50/CND since its heavy.
Is this unit better than the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 for $315 CND in your opinion?

Thanks a bunch,
Tal
The emotiva gets very favourable reviews. Where it is better is if you decide to go down the powered speaker route I mentioned above, you can control the volume through this unit (the powered speakers are set to usually full blast with volume control on the rear)

I really think you would be hard pushed to better the Rega Brio at this price point. You could pick up a used one or ex demo at a good price. This would also be a great pairing with the MA BR5's. They were my first speakers some years ago... I found the Brio at the time a great match and it tamed the metal domb tweeter which could become harsh if partnered incorrectly.

Rega Brio review

Thank you I will take a look at the Rega Brio! Do you think that the MA BR5s are a better deal (sound wise) than the KLIPSCH R26F Tower Speakers?

Thank you I will take a look at the Rega Brio! Do you think that the MA BR5s are a better deal (sound wise) than the KLIPSCH R26F Tower Speakers?
I cannot comment on the Klipsch as I have not heard them, I can only say the MA5's are top value for money even at a brand new price. Very detailed, balanced, engaging with plenty of low end. As mentioned they do require care when matching. A warmer sounding amp is definitely a must and you will be rewarded with a great system. They are also excellent in a AV set up. I had them going into a Yamaha AV for TV/Movies and went pre outs into the Rega for Stereo and it worked a treat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom