Help With Choosing Products

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chuckalicious, Sep 10, 2007.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Need some help choosing a new hifi setup. My requirements are as follows:

1 stereo amp
    1 DAB tuner
    2 speakers (bookshelf)

My budget is £550 for the lot. The system will be used mainly with my Sonos plugged into it (via optical if possible) and will be used with a range of music (all FLAC files). the room for use will be my living room which is 5.4m (w) x 3.8m (d) x 3m (h).

Obviously I want the best sound quality possible, and something that looks nice (the speakers that is, the rest will be tucked away). I know I can't get anything particularly high end but whatever you could recommend to get the best from my budget would be great.

I've seen loads of things to match my budget but I'm not finding many reviews of the things.

Thanks

2. ging32

ging32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What have you seen so far that you like the look of?

3. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's the question isn't it :)

I haven't had a chance to visit any dedicated stores, my local Richer Siunds doesn't have a listening room and I know no-one who has separates kit (except my dad who has Linn stuff so that's out the question :)).

I like the description of this amp: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1213

however whats in a description?

I like the description of this tuner:

and these speakers? http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2069

however i don't know how these sound or how well they work together, or with my Sonos.

Hence my question :) I'm sure I could pick out kit to fit the budget, but I know nothing about the brands or their quality.

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Unlikely you'll get a stereo amp with an optical input.

Not a problem as the analogue out is at least as good as a decent mid priced CDP (think in the £400 - £600 range).

As for an amp, have a look at the Cambridge 540 V2:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-540A-V2-BLK

Really amazing for the money. With a set of Mordaunt short 902i's it sounds really good. For a little more you can get the MA BR2's.

Remember the Sonos will play internet radio stations; there's many more than you get with DAB, and an increasing number are broadcast in higher bit rates.

5. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Excellent, and I can get all that for £400 :)

That should leave enough for a DAB.

As for tinternet radio on the Sonos, the BBC stations are terrible, which is mainly what my wife uses DAB for. However, the other stations on the Sonos are great. I plan to plug the DAB into the line in of the SOnos as well, so I can share it around the house.

6. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got the CA Azure 540 V2 amp, love it. Also aimed to get the Moraunt Short, but ended up with Warfedale Diamond 9.1s. Very happy with both, and sound much much better than what I was used to. Now just waiting for the CA Azure DAB to come back in stock and I'll be finished :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction