• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with choosing new system

Grumpyduck

Established Member
Ok so my father is in need of replacing his aging hi-fi system.

He has speakers positioned around the house hardwired into his old hifi, we need to be able to wire these speakers into any new components.

We need DAB, mp3 and CD playability, amplification, and a screen to see what's playing.

Your suggestions guys??

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
How much do you want to spend? If I were you my front end would be a Squeeze box, with an old PC or NAS drive storing your tunes. Amplification is quite a dilemma and depends on how much you wish to spend. It would need to be robust to handle the complex load of a number of speakers. Did the old one die?

Grumpyduck

Established Member
Not sure how much he has just yet, I just wanted to get some ideas. as to what might be the way to go.

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
I suspect you need to match your budget to a capable amp. Richer Sounds, Superfi or Hifix and look at options in your price range then come back and see what we think. I like what Cambridge Audio does personally but there should be plenty of other suggestions.

Grumpyduck

Established Member
Oh, I forgot to say, it needs to be a simple set-up that an older person can operate without to much fuss. I think that the box handling the storage of tunes has to be the same one as plays cd's etc (does such a unit exist?)or perhaps a cd player with an i-pod (or mp3 player) dock?

So what I am imagining is a cd player with hdd or i-pod dock on top of some kind of amplifier with 3 pairs of speaker connections...phew!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom