Help with choosing hifi amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by OwenPan, Aug 27, 2013.

1. OwenPan

OwenPan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests i'm looking to buy a 2 channel amp to power my B&W cm9's. I am working to a budget around £1500-2000, i am considering integrated amps as well as pre and power separates.

I like the Classe CAP-2100 but finding a good used one is rather difficult. I have demoed both a Supernait and Supernait 2. With the original supernait ex demo been a strong possibility.

I have also looked at Rotel, RA-1570 integrated amp or RB-1552 and RC-1580 seperates.

The amp will have to have HT bypass and at the moment the sources will be a Sneaky DS and the front channels from my AV receiver.

Any pearls of wisdom and throwing in other amps into the mix would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Why do you want an amp with HT Bypass? Obviously you want that feature because you want to use an amp to power speakers on behalf of your AVR, but it's possible to use an amp for the same purpose that doesn't have that feature and, some would say (me at the very least), that you'll get better results without it!

I used to have a Yamaha AVR and sent audio to my Nait XS via the latter's AV Bypass Input. Although this worked quite well, I somehow ended up connecting my AVR to one of my Nait's standard Line Inputs to see if I could hear a difference and boy, did I hear a difference! As I now know, most of the magic that takes place in a Naim amp takes place in the pre-amp section; connecting an AVR and to the Nait (or any integrated) amp with AV Bypass means the audio goes straight to the poweramp section to be powered and by doing, misses out on most of the magic.

If you're considering buying a Supernait (or whichever amp you end up with), try connecting your AVR to it using one of it's standard Line Inputs to benefit from it's pre-amp section. All you'd need to do with the Supernait is set the volume to 12 o'clock and use the AVR's volume control to adjust volume. If you don't like what you hear, then by all means connect amps via AV Bypass. The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose and lots to gain :)

Fwiw, I no longer have the Yamaha AVR because my OPPO 105 has a digital pre-amp so I'm now able send audio from the direct from the OPPO to my Nait which powers the front speakers and a Nap 150 which powers the rear speakers.

3. OwenPan

OwenPan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that great point. I knew you'd be able to set it up that way but I can see your point. The pre amp in a naim or similar will be much better than my Onkyo. I only considered HT bypass so that I could set a unity gain and use the AVR as the volume control, but from what your saying it doesn't really seem to be a issue.

Thanks again for your reply

4. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    What windhoek describes will work but I'd find it hassle, you'd need to set the volume exactly right every time, not too bad if it has a digital volume display.

Personally I'd rather have an amp which has AV bypass. The Arcam A38 is in your budget. You could also look for a used Musical Fidelity M6i, its a very good amp.

5. OwenPan

OwenPan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't consider the M6i, that looks a very impressive amp. I will have to find a dealer in the NW to demo with some cm9's

Thanks

6. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
  7. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    It's no hassle at all and I'm sure you wouldn't find it so. All you need to do is set the volume to 12o'clock and that's it. When you're finished using the amp in this way, just turn the volume back down. I'm sure you'd be able to do this without it feeling like a hassle.

8. OwenPan

OwenPan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0