HELP with choosing between Sony or Onkyo AMP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jzee3, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jzee3

jzee3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I hope you guys can help with a dilema that I have at the moment. I'm trying to build up my 1st AV system but I'm also trying not to over-spend.

I've finally decided to buy a set of Jamo A102 HCS 5 speakers, but now I need an AV Amp to complement it.

I was originally leaning towards the Sony STR-DG910 as I plan to connect a future DVD, PS3 and SkyHD via the amp to my 50inch Panasonic Plasma.

However, due to all the info I'm seeing on the message boards here I'm now thinking whether I would be better to go for one of the Onkyo AV receivers. My choice at the moment is the for the Onkyo 705 as the 805 is just way too expensive.

By the way, I do not want to spend more than £600 on the AMP, ideally the lower the price the better and that's the main attraction of the Sony with 4 HDMI inputs.

Can anyone suggest whether the Onkyo is better than the Sony and why?

Thanks.

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I think it's quite difficult to compare the two.
    Sony 910 @ £300 and Onkyo 705 @ £600 (rough prices obviously).
    You should get more for your money really.
    BTW I think the Sony 910 has 3 HDMI inputs, not 4.

3. jzee3

jzee3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes you're correct the Sony 910 only has 3 HDMI inputs not 4. I know there's a big difference in price, but I'm more interested in functionality for what i need to use it for. For example I plan to watch a lot of SkyHD and DVD via the PS3 if possible.

I notice the Onkyo supports Zoning, which is not something I'm interested in at the moment.

I was told that HDMI 1.3 is supposed to be good, but reading the sticky message at the top of the messageboard it looks like HDMI 1.3 is not a big issue in the nearest future.

Does anyone have a good review of the Sony 910?

4. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The main attraction of the Sony 910 is that it is very feature rich for it's price.
    The most notable feature is the acceptance of PCM over HDMI (from new audio formats).

For SkyHD you will need to connect an optical cable as well as the HDMI anyway, as it doesn't transmit 5.1 over it's HDMI.
    As for DVDs on the PS3, you will get the same performance with an optical cable here too. The only time audio over HDMI is required is if you are planning to play BluRay discs on it.
    Having said that, if you have a PS3, then it would be silly not to get an AV Receiver which accepts PCM over HDMI; as BluRay is always an option there.

But it is worth noting that the Sony 910 is a budget range Amp and therefore the sound quality may suffer because of this. Sony do make an ES range; the first one which has similar features is the STR-DA3200ES and is a similar price as the Onkyo 705, if not a little cheaper I believe.

As for the speakers, I don't know anything about them, but I don't think you'll hear the benefit of a more expensive AV Receiver (e.g. Onkyo 705 or Sony 3200ES) with a ~£200 speaker system; so in this case it might be better to go for the Sony 910 as it has the features you require and is very decently priced.

5. Max N

Max N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi
    The PS3 is an excellent upscaling DVD player as well probably the best Blu-ray player, so you won't need a separate DVD player. So both your sources and your display will all output hi res and/or upscale, so you don't need any upscaling capability in the amp.

The PS3 only outputs hi-def audio over HDMI, which the Sony won't accept, so it looks like a no brainer to me that you want one of the Onkyos. The 605 would be the obvious choice, or the 705 if you can stretch to it.

Here is an explanation of some of the issues:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606316

6. pmanson

pmanson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have an Onkyo 605 and the Jamo A102's and i'm very pleased with the set up.

7. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The Sony STR-DG910 accepts LPCM over HDMI, which as you know (from your linked thread) is capable of enjoying DD+ and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.

8. jzee3

jzee3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Max,

I'm really confused now because I've always assumed that the Sony 910 will accept HDMI sound from the PS3 and just like in the link that you pasted to your reply where you explained the HDMI 1.3 sound issue, I find your comment that the Sony 910 cannot accept sound from the PS3.

It will be really nice if anyone can paste a link to a review for the Sony 910 or anyone who has actually used it with a PS3 and SkyHD.

Thanks Everyone.

9. ajgooner23

ajgooner23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just purchased an 805 of someone who upgraded to an 875. As some have posted both the ps3 & the 360 upscale dvds so I don't require an amp to do that job. THX at this price doesn't get any better, good luck on making the right decision:thumbsup:

10. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i have the sony 910 and have my ps3,skyhd and toshiba hddvd player all connect via hdmi and i am very happy with it. I get the hd audio from both bluray and hddvd players over hdmi no problem. The ps3/hddvd player will decode the hd audio and is then sent as pcm over the hdmi to the amp and the amp plays the hd audio as pcm.

11. Max N

Max N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Jzee3, sorry, my mistake, I thought the Sony didn't accept PCM over HDMI - I don't know where I got that idea from - doh!
    So it seems like both amps will do what you need. Is there any way you can audition them?

12. jzee3

jzee3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Max,

I've decided to try demo at ASK this weekend if they'll let me. I beginning to lean towards the ONKYO 605 as I do not need all the zoning stuff that comes with the ONKYO 705.

13. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Any inofr on your demo between the Sony 910 and the Onyko 605?

I'm quite interested in either of these and was wondering if the 605 was worth £100 (or 25%) more than the Sony 910?

For me I just need the amp for a PS3 and SkyHD (future purchases). Interstingly does anyone kave links ot reviews for the Sony910?

cheers

14. jzee3

jzee3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well the demo was a damp squid. ASK did not have the Onkyo and I had to settle for the Sony 910 demo. I think I'll be better doing a demo at somewhere like SuperFi.

If anyone has tried both side-by-side, please share your experience.

15. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

in the thread for the 910 on here there is a link to a review of the 910.
    One thing to think about the onkyo 605 is that there was a problem with the 605 and the ps3, this has been fixed and there is a firmware update for it. So if you get the 605 make sure it has the firmware update or you will have to ship it back to onkyo for it to be done.

16. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The sony 3200 is old, there is now the Sony 3300.

17. go7blue

go7blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The firmware update currently being offered by Onkyo has nothing to do with problem with PS3 which is in fact a Sony issue for which Sony will be updating firmware on the PS3. Also the Onkyo firmware update , which is to do with new HD Sound formats and I think only applies to a small amount of stock , is being made available on a CD so you can do this yourself at home.

18. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

how can you update via the cd with the onkyo?