1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with choosing an A/V receiver & speaker setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Logan09, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I've decided to buy a Samsung SP46L6HX DLP TV and am currently trying to decide what audio setup to pair with it. I have no idea about audio stuff, so am in need of some help. I plan to play DVD's through my HTPC so don't need a dvd player/all-in-one setup, but my budget is fairly limited at around £300.

So I'm hoping you guys (and gals) will be kind enough to give me some advice on what to get. My parents have a sony DAVS-550 all-in-one setup and that sounds good to me, so something with comparable quality (or better) would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    This Yamaha setup would be a good cheap start for you. A few people on this forum own the older setup and this one includes the newest amp.
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26210.html

Have a look and see. Should you want to upgrade you can easily get a better speaker setup and then go from there.

3. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does that have digital audio connections (S/PDIFF or Toslink)? I want to connect my HTPC throught an optical/digital connection as it outputs Dolby Digital Live 5.1 through the digital outputs. I couldn't see any mention of this on the yamaha site and on the unbeatable website.

Edit: Found it. Has 2 S/PDIFF connections.

Thanks for that, this looks a good buy.

4. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I think I may up my budget to about £500 for an amp/receiver and 6.1 speaker set. I've looked at the Cambridge Audio 540R, and it looks very good. Is this one of the best amps at this price range (I will use it for movies & music)?

Also if you have any suggestions for a speaker package for a max of £250 it would be appreciated. I've posted this request in the speakers forum as well.

Thanks.

5. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    May keep an eye on this thread.. Im in the same ball park too... Ive also heard great things about the CA 540R, and had a few recommendations over Denons...

Think I will settle on that amp, now to find a decent speaker setup for <=£300

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  7. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Popped into Richer Sounds today and the bloke there suggested that I get the following to go with a Cambridge 540R or Yamaha RXV357/457:

4 x Gale Silver Monitor Speakers (£59.99 a pair)

1 x Eltax Millenium Centre Sepaker (in black, to be upgraded at later date, but only £9.99)

1 x Gale Storm 8 Subwoofer (£59.99)

All for a total of £500 including Cambridge 540R & speaker wire & optical cable.

Unfortunately I didn't get to test it because I was pushed for time, but does this sound a good combination? Are Gale speakers any good? (particularly the Silver monitors, as I will prob. upgrade the sub & centre at a later date).

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Don't know about the rest, but the Eltac centre at RS, B'ham only comes in Beech.
    For a tenner, I think you won't beat it, well worth a try :smashin:
    You can always upgrade/sling it after.

Better still, buy 2 and use them on the kids Hi-fi, or similar :smashin:

9. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, on the speaker front I've managed to get hold of a pair of Wharfedale Atlantic 400 floorstanders (Black) for £50, so that's my 2 front speakers sorted. I now need a centre to match them, and 2 rears. I think I'm gonna leave the sub out at the moment and buy one at a later date.

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have a look at ebay and see if you can get an atlatntic centre or the Wharfedale Valdus centre is cheap now and a very good centre. You could also look at the Wharfedale DFS rears. Hifi bitz had them on sale a bit ago.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHARFEDALE-WH...795568771QQcategoryZ14996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHARFEDALE-XA...795878492QQcategoryZ14996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

11. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, I already had those Wharfedale dipole rears on my ebay items to watch list. Think I may try and get them. The only trouble now is finding a black Wharfedale centre to match.

What is the Yamaha RXV-650 like as an amp? The specs look good, and a 2nd hand one might be a better option for me than a 540R.