Help with choosing a small sub please.

Richardxx

Hi I have a Yamaha RX A2A; A pair of Monitor Audio Bronze wall mounted; a Monitor Audio Radius 225 Centre and a pair of very ancient Goodmans Maxims pressed into service as the surrounds.

Room is about 10x14 feet.

Looking for a small sub to give a little more bass. Mainly use the system for Movies/TV but also some music. NB this is not my main music system though that is in a different room. My taste in movies however does not include anything much with spectacular sound effects. I mainly just want a somewhat fuller bass base and to take the strain of providing bass from my other speakers so they can hopefully give a better account of the mid/highs.

I am looking at either a BK Gemini 2 or a REL T5i. I believe the latter is about to be discontinued but Richer Sounds are showing them at £399. Budget is not tight but that is £149 ish more than the Gemini and for a smaller sub so it is a factor.

Any comments/experiences with either etc to help me make a decision much appreciated. Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
What about the HT/1003 model W x H x D, Including feet and rear panel controls: 12.5 x 13.7 x 13.8 in., (318 x 347 x 351 mm) ? Very similar sized to Gemini II cause i think the dimensions for it doesn´t include knobs.

There is one grade-b from REL with 1year warranty. These should be reliable and naturally it would offer better performance over the T5i and Gemini. 379£, but i feel there is little air so 350£ would be good price for this. Free delivery also.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
How about a little White 8" Totem Sub? Perfect for bolstering a small little system that needs a little more umph.

Richardxx

Thanks @Gasp3621 The HT/1003 looks good value but I would like the option of a High Level input the HT?1003 is LFE line-level input only.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Gasp3621 The HT/1003 looks good value but I would like the option of a High Level input the HT?1003 is LFE line-level input only.

Ok. I think for what you are after the Gemini is likely fine. I owned it 4 year time and had it in few different apartments. Not a room shaker but adds certainly good bit of weight to your system to enjoy some flicks. It can`t play low though so for action/scifi/horror stuff you won´t get same experience what example the small SVS SB1000 Pro would do at 500£ mark (you get discount as AVF member). If you are spending 400£ for REL then i would seriously think about this SVS cause it will be very different and can only make your system sound better.

It has also speaker level input connection method with LFE. For movies with Yamaha receiver you want to use the latter only. Also phone app control.

• Dimensions (w/ grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 14.76” (375mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 13.9” (352mm) D

1000-pro-ampshot.jpg

Richardxx

@Gasp3621 That SVS sounds terribly tempting but possibly wasted at the volumes I can get away with & beyond what I have a real need for? Maybe?
Mission creep is what I feared when I posted ;)

I have some reading up on the 1000 to do though; thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 That SVS sounds terribly tempting but possibly wasted at the volumes I can get away with & beyond what I have a real need for? Maybe?
Mission creep is what I feared when I posted ;)

I have some reading up on the 1000 to do though; thanks.

It`s surely better long term purchase, keeps you happy for long time certainly. Good sub never goes waste even at moderate levels. This is smallest sealed subwoofer with 12" driver in the market. Read the AVF review and you should be sold. :)

rccarguy2

That isn't a tiny room to for the sb1000

Richardxx

Thanks for all the excellent advice particularly @Gasp3621
If I do go for the SVS SB-1000 Pro any views on how I should be connecting it to my Yamaha so I can use for both Movies and some Music. I admit I am pretty clueless on this.
e.g. If I connect from main L/R speaker terminals to the high level input does that mean I have to set my L/R speakers to large?
Should I connect via RCA to LFE as well?
Not had a modern sub before and I need to get this sorted before total senility sets in.
Help.

rccarguy2

Single RCA to RCA that's it.job done

Richardxx

Single RCA to RCA that's it.job done
Thanks so the single RCA LFE connection from the YAM sub out will pass the bass from say a FLAC music file that does not have the bass as part of a movie effect? I have got the idea from somewhere that the LFE connection only passes these special movie effect signals.
Sorry about what must look like daft questions.

rccarguy2

Thanks so the single RCA LFE connection from the YAM sub out will pass the bass from say a FLAC music file that does not have the bass as part of a movie effect? I have got the idea from somewhere that the LFE connection only passes these special movie effect signals.
Sorry about what must look like daft questions.

You'll get sound from the sub if you're using bass management, say speakers set to small 80hz, subwoofer on the yamaha to 80hz, and crossover on the actual sub plate amp to max.

If you use pure direct you won't get sound from the sub.
If you set mains to large, subwoofer to off, you won't get sound from sub

LFE is from multi channel, DD/DTS etc
Crossed bass is where your other speakers are set to small, so bass from those channels <80hz is redirect to the sub.

That's why you need a good sub, it does a lot of work, if fact the smaller speakers you have (or the higher crossover you use) means you need a better sub.

For example if I have big floorstanders and I use small 40hz, and 40hz crossover on the sub, the sub isn't working as hard. But if I have tiny little speakers set to small 120hz, and I set 120hz on the sub, the sub has to do so much more.

Richardxx

Thanks to @Gasp3621 & @rccarguy2 for the very helpful advice. I have, thanks to great help from Chris @AmericanAudio just clicked on a black SVS 3000 Micro (yes I did have some considerable mission creep).
Cannot wait to start playing and will no doubt be back for some set up advice, thanks again people.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks to @Gasp3621 & @rccarguy2 for the very helpful advice. I have, thanks to great help from Chris @AmericanAudio just clicked on a black SVS 3000 Micro (yes I did have some considerable mission creep).
Cannot wait to start playing and will no doubt be back for some set up advice, thanks again people.
Oh that´s nice! It´s very small, gives little bit in the deep bass region to SB1000 Pro, but past 30hz with the slam department it shouldn´t disappoint. Superb sub for first quality one for you! I would try it in 1/4 front wall and front corner if possible, running 3mic positions for YPAO in both placement, which ever sounds better..

I hope you ordered it from forum advertiser as you should be getting -10% discount for
most SVS products.

dion 6

I've been following this small sub thread with interest from the start you certainly ended up with a small sub but a hell of a jump from a BK Gemini 2 at the start great choice I'm sure you'll enjoy it 😀

Tom175

Standard Member
Once you have run it in, I would be very interested on how you find the sub. I am thinking of getting a sub and I am more limited by the size I can get away with than the budget.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I actually tested our two comparable demo subs (SB2000 / 3000Micro next to each other when we did our unboxing video and the 3000 is an amazing little sub.

Back to back, with same kit, levels and demo source material, I would describe it as more powerful than it 2000 sibling, but it didnt dig quite as deep for those lovely Movie, Earthshaking moments.

Still an incredibly capable Sub for its size and money.

Richardxx

Once you have run it in, I would be very interested on how you find the sub. I am thinking of getting a sub and I am more limited by the size I can get away with than the budget.
Hi @Tom175 I will try to post some comments but without much experience of sub woofers I doubt my observations (or do I mean hearings?) will be very well informed.
NB My only other 'sub-woofer' was a DIY boom box I made using bits from the local electronic store 35 years ago when my tastes (and my pockets) were very different.
My main worry is doing this subwoofer crawl that all the Youtube experts regard as essential, at 74 I am worried about ever getting up again. :laugh:

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
No, unfortunately video is in production, but will take a little while to edit as mark is a bit of a perfectionist!

BUT.

The big advantage you have @Richardxx is the SVS bluetooth app, so you dont need to crawl around on the floor. You can just sit in your listening position and adjust the phase, levels and eq to meet your personal preferences.

The 'Sub-Crawl' is something only the Americans love to talk about and do, ultimately if you get the sub sounding how you like it, then that's it.

Chris.

Last edited:

Richardxx

Hi @Tom175 Just to say very pleased with the SVS 3000 micro, lot of bass for a very tiny speaker. probably too much for my wee house if anything. Here is a picture of it fitted into the conveniently sized space in the rack below my Yamaha and PVR. Got a foam platform for it to hopefully reduce rumble transmission.
Just got to get a mono 3.5 audio cable so I can use the 12V trigger from the Yam. Must be the only cable I don't have in my box of bits.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 44

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone