Help With Choosing a NAS Drive With These Features!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Rick1486, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, my hdd is nearly full, my lads computers are nearly full and I need to sort the situation out sooner rather than later!

We've got videos, photos, documents, downloaded tv shows, software etc etc which I want to back up (straightforward enough) but also be able to use the drive as a media server so that files stored on the drive can be shared amongst all of us on the network or even accessed via the 'net should we need to. I would also want to be able to use it for itunes which I know some of them can do and to stream the photos, videos, tv shows to my main telly via the xbox 360.

I can't and won't spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds, but would look at up about £300ish and would ideally want RAID capability otherwise the backup side of things to me becomes redundant should the NAS drive fail and I've already got rid of the files from my/others p.c. hdd's.

Hope you can help and I'm sure there's something out there for me.

Cheers
    Rick

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    D-Link DNS-323 has itunes server and upnp, although don't know how you test it yourself. Also has raid (I use jbod) Got a DNS-323

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509

Apparently bittorrent server is in the works.
    Any NAS will allow any PC on the LAN to access files.

3. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I had read somewhere about the dlink one. Do you know if it's capable of allowing others access (e.g. via the internet) to photos etc either as a group of files people click on or as a webpage affair?

The others I had seen and thought maybe good were the qnap 209, synology (can't remember the model no) and the maxtor shared storage II. Do you or anyone else have any knowledge/thoughts/opinions on any of these or any other suggestions?

What I really liked about the qnap is that it can act as a bittorrent "thingy" allowing downloads straight to itself rather than having to have the p.c. on all the time which is a real pain in the backside especially with large files.

Cheers
    Rick