Help with choosing a Legacy VA Panel?

TuneHead

Novice Member
Hi All,

Need a new (used) TV for retro gaming - my 2014 LG IPS panels grey blacks are awful and I'm unsure on its upscaling ability and input lag seems bad)..

Can fit any size up to a physical height dimension of 76cm - as this is the max width of the loft hatch! so unsure if the 40" mentioned below will fit...(my LG's 32" and already wall mounted so be easiest to swap for another 32")

I've made a small list but unsure which would be best for my needs (No Smart or Wifi needed, I'm always dead straight on to the screen, sit 6' away, dark/dimly lit room)

• VA Panel (0.06 cd/m2 max)
  • Legacy inputs (RF, Composite, at least 2 hdmi, at least 1 scart, (vga and s-video would be a plus)
  • Very Good / Excellent Scaling
  • low input lag

Think I'm looking at a model built between 2008-2014

Research/online reviews from hdtvtest.ac.uk so far suggest the below fit the bill but if everyone could recommend one or even something else please let me know!....

Unsure on the contrast rate of all below but know the gamma points (the LE32C530 wins at an even 2.4! and seems to be top in other areas while being a budget TV when released which just doesn't seem right??)

32"

Samsung LE32C530 (2010)
black level 0.04 cd/m2
scaling: excellent
input lag 14ms
video mode deinterlacing: very effective

Sony KLD-32W653 (2013)
black level 0.048 cd/m2
scaling: very good
input lag 33ms
video mode deinterlacing: decent

37"

Sony KDL37W5500 (2009)
black level 0.09 cd/m2
scaling: very good
input lag 21ms
video mode deinterlacing: average

40"

Sony KDL-40W4000 (2008)
black level 0.05cd/m2
scaling: good
input lag 0-10ms
video mode deinterlacing: average

Sony KDL-40HX853 (2012)
black level 0.052 cd/m2
scaling: excellent
input lag 30ms
video mode deinterlacing: decent

tvdavid

I got this tv the other week pretty cheap its a really good image I still have it for now

so would say the 40w4000

TuneHead

Novice Member
I got this tv the other week pretty cheap its a really good image I still have it for now

so would say the 40w4000

Thanks for the reply, would you mind measuring the height of the TV for me? one other thing is I'd have to walk up the loft ladder with it, think that's possible with the weight?

tvdavid

I would say its about 36 inch if I was to count the frame and a 40 inch would be about 44 inch
a 40 inch would be a bit heavier to.

TuneHead

Novice Member
Beware that TVs using VA panels have lower response times closer to black than IPS, so whilst you will get better contrast and blacks, it will come at the cost of some smearing/motion blur in darker areas of the picture
Thanks for this, I'm hoping the trade off is worth it.

Any of the ones I mentioned stick out to you as better than another out of interest? I can go up to a 40" screen (as long as its not too heavy to be able to loft while stepping up a ladder) Any CRT is out of the question too.

Shame I can't go qled or oled (likely buy the Samsung frame) as I would if they had the connections I need.

Dodgexander

I didn't really follow TVs at that time but I'd imagine the 40HX853 is the best option, 2012-13 was the last time they made decent HD TVs, the 2013 WX was model was a big downgrade I think. Probably looking instead at the W800 or W900 models if you're buying from 2013.

Another good 40" to look out for would be the Samsung H6400.

Its not a bad idea buying HD only for retro gaming anyway, my Wii looks awful upscaled to UHD even on my 43" model. Looks a lot better on an older HD plasma I have....which I guess leads me to other options...last gen plasma TVs like Panasonic models from 2012-13 are also good options.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom