Help with choosing a digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by emma133, Jul 10, 2004.

1. emma133

emma133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, well i must say i feel a little out of depth, my analogue camcorder has finally given way, and i would like to now upgrade to a digital camcorder. However i have a set budget which is rather small, but i would like to know what to look for and where to start! The camcorder will be used for just family shots, like the childrens birthdays, christmas, school concerts etc. I have tried to do a little research my self, but have ended up rather confused. I would be extremely gratefull for any help and advice. :lease:

2. El Indio

El Indio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In other words you want a cheap camera that can shoot good video in difficult (low light) situations - dont we all :)

Why dont you try checking the several review magazines in the newsagent (if u live in UK) to get an idea of whats avaliable at your budget?

3. emma133

emma133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been checking some websites, but unfortunately i'm not very technical, so i don't really know what i should be looking for, i have budgeted around £250. Which i know isn't much, but i would like something i could use with the pc.

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you want to download to your PC then an 'I-link' (firewire, DV-out) is important. Also, do you want it to be backwards compatible with your old tapes? Reason for asking this, is if you have a stack of Hi-8 tapes that you want to be able to archive, then you need to go for a Digital 8 that plays back the old format.

5. emma133

emma133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, thanks for the reply, yes i do have old analogue tapes. I had narrowed it down to 3 within my price range, then got completely confused because they also have the E models (all three are sony) so i now have to find out what the E models are. Getting more and more confused each day.

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, the DCRTRV460E plays back old 8mm for sure, that's about £360 though. I think, but I'm not certain, that the 'E' just means European.