• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with choosing a case.

robgti

Hi all. I have been using my PC for over a year now as a HTPC but also as a gaming PC. I am currently using a xigmatek midgard case turned on its side and placed under the tv. I would like to change the case and house it in a proper HT style case.

I am currently looking at the Silverstone range of cases as they appear to be well priced compared to other makes.

My current specs are:
1 x Intel 40gb ssd
2 x 1tb hdds
1 x 400gb hdd
1055T @ 3.8Ghz
5.25 fan controller
1 x dvd drive
Atx Asus motherboard
Thermaltake thoughpower 750w modular psu
s350 sat card
wireless pci card
I am using a TRUE 120 cooler on the cpu at the moment but I think I will struggle to find a case that will be able to house the cooler due to the height.

I could loose the 400gb hdd and just use the ssd and two 1tb hdds.

murtoz

Standard Member
Would recommend to change processor heatsink to give yourself some more choice in cases. The TRUE is a great heatsink but not really suited to HTPC use!
- Scythe Ninja Mini: 115mm - fits nicely in my Lian-LI PC-C32B, which shoudl also accomodate all your hard drives, and even adds some basic drive dampening.
- Scythe BIG shuriken: 58mm

I also just spotted the Scythe Kozuti which is only 40mm tall... need to look into this!

With regards to cases, I too have been looking (although I am looking for mATX/mITX cases that are as low as possible, and less than 40cm deep, so different criteria from yours).

However, I built up quite a list of cases with their dimensions as posted on manufacturer websites. This may give you some ideas. Attached here as a tab delimited text file. It currently includes 44 cases from the likes of silverstone, AE origin, Karma, Wesena, Lian Li, Antec, and many more.
I have more columns in my excel source - let me know if you would like a copy and I'll work out how to upload it.
DISCLAIMER: the information included is by no means complete, nor can I garantuee it is correct. Please complete your own research prior to reaching conclusions or making decisions!!

Attachments

• caselist.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 74

robgti

Thank you for the information. I managed to order a Silverstone LC20B and two 92mm red wing silent fans delivered for £85 yesterday so should hopefully be with me today. I am just going to run it with the TRUE for now but leave the lid off. I was planning on ordering a Scythe cooler but they were out of stock so will be looking else where.

I did think about going for a smaller case and changing my board to a mATX but having a spu which takes up two slots, a wireless pci card and a s350 pci card I am limited to what boards I can go for and also I like the overclock and the board I was looking at was not up to spec.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom