1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with choice between two camcorders

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by taronski, Dec 9, 2004.

1. taronski

taronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hiya,

I want to get my first camcorder and have shortlisted the following.

Canon MVX10I
    Sony DCR-HC40
    Sony DCR-PC109

These are all kicking around 450-500 pounds which is my maximum budget.

Being new to this I have taken the higher CCD of the canon as the main decision driver.

What would you advise? Should I be looking at something else in that price range?

Thank you

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What I have gathered from other posters on this site is that Canons', generally speaking seem to record motor noise. Which is annoying. I have a Sony PCR330 and, again just reading the listings, Sony is much favoured.
    ...I accept all critisim about this post and Canons' being better than Sonys'. This is only what I have read and understood. I personally cannot compare as I have only had the Sony.

3. taronski

taronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Brummy, up to now I did not take that into account.

Somehow the feedback I got was that from a reliability perspective Sony seem to have a small edge.

Any more thoughts

Ciao

4. kwestwood

kwestwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not used a Sony but I have the Canon mvx10i.

As far as recommending the Canon goes I would say it depends on what you are going to be using it for. If you are going to do most of your filming indoors for family stuff etc then I wouldn’t bother. The picture is often very grainy and moving objects become blurred. It can also find itself searching for focus. If you’re mainly going to film outside then the results are very good, very crisp with good colour. The stills are pretty good considering its a camcorder were talking about. However I sometimes find the flash a bit too powerful leaving a lot of reflection on the subjects.