Help with child's handwriting

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by IL Cattivo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Morning All,

End of Year 1 for our 6 year old boy. Been quite a challenge for him this year as Y1 is probably the first introduction to 'academic' life growing up.

Got his work books home from the school yesterday and was shocked to find that his text books are neon illegible and that each page had the teacher comment of 'Required Supervision'. He's a lefty which can bring with it it's own challenges.

I feel like both the school and us as parents are failing him in the teaching and developing of his handwriting skills. I completely disagree with joined up writing being forced upon children from the outset. Never had that in my day. I feel our son needs to first learn to form the letters individually first and construct them into block words with spaces before going down the more complex route of stringing letters altogether with odd looking lines and curves!!

Anyone here have any advice or know of any good methods that you've put in place to make the process of teaching children to write easier for them, especially lefties.

Thanks

2. busterbenny2001

busterbenny2001
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,469
    Going through the same thing with our 7 year old spoke to teachers and watched some you tube cursive script videos now we practice daily, I’m a lefty and I’m enjoying,learning too, tbh our lad is picking it up really fast.

3. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thanks very much buster..

Do you have any links by any chance?

Appreciate it.

4. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,359
    Same problem with my 5 yr old. His writing is all over the place.
    It seems schools no longer believe in lined paper? Modern thinking or something?

Anyway, we bought a pad with lined paper and taught him to get his letters to sit on the lines. Those letters with tails like g,y, p etc hang below the line.

5. busterbenny2001

busterbenny2001
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,469
    Best one so far is this

Cursive Handwriting: How to Write the Alphabet

Then bought a cheap drawing thing like an etch a sketch but with a pen he loves practicing now then wipe it away take it in turns seems to be working so far !

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    Both my kids had great handwriting, till the school had to teach them joined up writing, then it went to pot. Having spoke with several teachers about it over the years, 100% of them believe the same as me, that it is rediculous and does more harm than good. My worry is other academia could be missed as they are held back by poor handwriting and teachers not being able to read the writing or to allow the colch to progress naturally.
    However, that said, both my two improved as they went along and so it isn't such a problem and in fact my eldest now loves cursive writing and italics and calligraphy.