Help with changing light switch

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He have moved into a late 1960s build. We decided to change the hall light switch to a nicer look no one. It turn on the hall light downstairs and the landing light upstairs. Problem is we can’t wire it up. We don’t know how this 2 way thing works. Have been trying for hours. :-( Now we have no light.

Can you take a photo of the wiring, and the existing switch? If you didn't note what went where before taking it off, you may have a problem ie need an electrician.

Hoorah!!

Moral of the story, photograph wiring before disconnecting it.

He have moved into a late 1960s build.
We know. This must be your 10th thread about it.
If you are unsure with electrical wiring, leave it to a professional. That or learn how to use a voltmeter

S

Sorry if I’m asking for advice. Won’t bother in future.
Please don’t take it like that. I’m sure it was intended in your best interest and for your own safety.

As said, take a photo of the wiring before you disconnect it it. I also tend to label the wires. Then when you use a volt meter you can see which does what. That way a ten minute job remains a ten minute job and doesn’t cause injuries.

S

Tongue in cheek. Why not have one thread for all your housing DIY needs?
The professional thing was for your own safety. If you mess it up it can have dire consequences

S

Good on you :)

People are afraid to do any DIY nowadays and the country has gone safety mad. As long as you isolated the power before you did anything, then good on you for having a go.

The fact that you got into problems doesn't matter as that's how you learn and you won't next time.

Makes me laugh when I heard trade people say leave well alone as most of us got into the trade by doing exactly what you did (have a go ourselves and discovered we like it), even if we didn't, we all certainly did things above are pay grade once we did start training.

But of course that's completely different :rotfl:

One person, one person. Who was maybe having a bad day, or came across badly. If the mods thought you were posting too many threads I'm sure they would have said something {WINK}

Not peed off from what i see just people looking out for your safety as you mentioned it was a 60s build.
Who knows what has been connected to what over time.
Glad you got it sorted as cocksure said once it is properly isolated then no real harm (but photos first always help, don't ask how i know this:facepalm:)

It was the "you've had 10 threads in GC why not roll them into one" that was the issue. Trying to keep on top of more than one or two issues all crammed into one thread would have been a logistical nightmare.

Good on you :)

People are afraid to do any DIY nowadays and the country has gone safety mad. As long as you isolated the power before you did anything, then good on you for having a go.

The fact that you got into problems doesn't matter as that's how you learn and you won't next time.

Makes me laugh when I heard trade people say leave well alone as most of us got into the trade by doing exactly what you did (have a go ourselves and discovered we like it), even if we didn't, we all certainly did things above are pay grade once we did start training.

But of course that's completely different :rotfl:

Disagree with this, when it comes to electrics and plumbing make sure you understand what your doing and the consequences if it goes wrong before starting.

A copper pipe can carry gas as well as water, thinking you have found the right one and cutting without being 100% sure could have disastrous consequences.

Electricians are taught never assume some thing is dead just because you think you have isolated it at the DB hence they should always prove dead with a recognised tester and a proving unit, although a known live source is fine and a multi meter is not a recognised device for proving dead!

And believe me from experience trusting something is dead or someone has isolated it correctly hurts.

It was the "you've had 10 threads in GC why not roll them into one" that was the issue. Trying to keep on top of more than one or two issues all crammed into one thread would have been a logistical nightmare.
I have a dry sense of humour.
I apologies if I offended anyone

Disagree with this, when it comes to electrics and plumbing make sure you understand what your doing and the consequences if it goes wrong before starting.

A copper pipe can carry gas as well as water, thinking you have found the right one and cutting without being 100% sure could have disastrous consequences.

Electricians are taught never assume some thing is dead just because you think you have isolated it at the DB hence they should always prove dead with a recognised tester and a proving unit, although a known live source is fine and a multi meter is not a recognised device for proving dead!

And believe me from experience trusting something is dead or someone has isolated it correctly hurts.

Well I have to agree with you :)

On an electricians forum, this type of question gets asked constantly, where the OP (present company accepted) has disconnected the switch/socket/luminaire and can't get the replacement to work. Whilst its commendable that 'people have a go', its quite obvious from their post, that they haven't even practised safe isolation (even here the OP has been advised to use a volt meter to do so), and they have not even basic diy skills, to carry out such tasks.

Offering advice on how to connect up an electrical accessory, where the adviser has no idea of the persons competency to do so, is irresponsible in my opinion; not giving this thread as a particular, but in generalisation.

As an electrician who does a lot of additions or alterations in kitchens bathrooms etc in domestic properties, I find myself holding my breath before starting work, due to amount of poorly carried out domestic DIY work, I've come across.

Maybe it's just me then and the boss I had that trained me. I was very much pushed to have a go and any balls ups where viewed as an excellent learn experience. :rotfl:

How far do you go through? I have tenants who don't know how to change light bulbs, replace plug fuses let alone wire one.

As a result I maintain bravo for having a go, especially as I can still remember changing my 1st 2 way light switch and the problems it caused me.

I'm quite sure that the op insured that the circuit was dead before they worked on it, people are rarely that stupid. However working from the assumption that people are is one reason for DIY dying out and makes people afraid to ask for help if they fear they will just get shot down and patronised. People will still have a go anyhow, they just won't ask for help when stuck and that is dangerous.

So bravo op :clap:

Last edited:
Having worked in the electrical installation industry and the police service, I can confirm that humans are exceptionally stupid when they want to be, and judging you level of expertise with theirs is quite foolish, no offence meant to your good self tigeramad.

Safe isolation is a basics taught to electrical apprentices as a basic skill, but even then it can go wrong. Just turning off a mcb or removing a fuse, or even turning off a consumer unit, is no for sure way of ensuring the circuit has been isolated.

I do recall the OP having experienced issues with this property prior to purchase. I note in this thread she/he states the property was built in the 1960's, where up to circa 1965, lighting circuits were installed without a cpc (or earth wire). If a metal faceplate has been installed, it requires a cpc unless it is Class II. Lets hope the connections have been safely terminated, and the old terminated wires are safely installed in the terminals. Lets hope none of the wires have been pinched when the faceplate has been screwed back.

I'm all for people, painting walls, doing a bit of plastering or even putting in an outside tap. Spending 3 hours doing something that should take 10 minutes for a competent person, just shows that the law of averages applied, as opposed to practical ability.

I have a new gas hob being delivered, I might just take your advice and install it myself. Can't be that hard?

Frankly it isn't, but it is illegal for a non qualified and registered person to do so. The same does not apply to electrical. Some day it will I'm sure, but until then...

We are never going to agree on this, I've made my case you have made yours. Having been banned once already, I've learnt my lesson and will bow out before things get heated. No offense to you

Frankly it isn't, but it is illegal for a non qualified and registered person to do so. The same does not apply to electrical. Some day it will I'm sure, but until then...

We are never going to agree on this, I've made my case you have made yours. Having been banned once already, I've learnt my lesson and will bow out before things get heated. No offense to you

Actually, somewhat tenuous, but all electrical installation work (and associated work) carried out within a domestic property, has to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, much scoffed over by competent electricians, 'cos those regs aren't stopping unqualified incompetent work. However, one way to comply with Part P, is to comply with BS7671 Wiring Regulations (not statutory), which loosely defines competency, but certainly stipulates how wiring should be installed, tested & certified.

Building Regulations are statutory instruments, and failure to comply are prosecuted in a magistrates court. There's not much to argue about that, is there.

I believe you can replace like for like no matter who you are.

Not sure if that applies in special locations though.

I believe you can replace like for like no matter who you are.

Not sure if that applies in special locations though.

Of course you can, you can do whatever you like in your own home, as did the tigermad and thousands like her. I'm not suggesting the diy competent have to employ an electrician to change a switch, or replace a pendant with a fancy luminaire, but if you have to come on a forum to ask how to do so, I would suggest your competency level is questionable.

Unlike gas, electricity has no smell, but it kills just as good.

We decided to change the hall light switch to a nicer look no one.
There is a possibility that this lighting circuit has no earthing; no earth was required at that time. If a metal light switch plate was then installed on such a circuit (or a metal light fitting), this has caused a danger and should be replaced with an insulated type, probably as the original. A warning notice is also required at the fuseboard/consumer unit, prohibiting class 1 fittings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom