1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with CD RW drive problem.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Jan 7, 2004.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Guys, I hope that you can help me with a non HCPC problem. I’ve tried on other hardware forums, but it’s baffled the experts there, so I’d thought I’d try here!

I've replaced the mobo in a Compaq Presario 5146EA (microATX) with an ASUS A&N8X-VM as it was spontaneously rebooting and everything I checked (CPU, fans, memory, PSU etc) didn’t resolve the issue. It was over 2 years old, so it was due an upgrade.

I have a Pioneer 106 DVD RW drive and a LG CED-8120B CD RW Drive both jumpers set to CS. The BIOS correctly sees the Pioneer as Master, but it doesn’t detect the LG. If I change to MA and SL, it still doesn't make any difference. I had a spare DVD ROM, so I swapped the LG CD RW drive with it and the BIOS detected it - so it appears to be an issue with the CD RW drive which worked fine with the old mobo I replaced with the Asus.

To make sure that the LG CD RW wasn’t faulty, I plugged it into a Compaq Deskpro EN at work and it was detected by the BIOS & OS. While it was up and running I decided up upgrade the CD RW's firmware from 1.09 to 2.00. It was still not detected by the Asus after the upgrade. I’ve also tried it with the LG as the only drive set to MA on the secondary IDE channel.

The Bios of the Asus is version 1008 08/15/2003.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is???

Thanks,
    David.

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well you’ve baffled me too. You've tried everything I would have. Theres a newer bios revision for your motherboard – 1009 (dated: 2003/10/24) – but I doubt you'll achieve much by upgrading that. Depends how comfortable you are at flashing the BIOS as well.

To be honest, instead of messing around trying to get the LG to work (which doesn't look promising), I’d just place an order for a new cd writer – expecially since they’re so cheap. You can pick up a Lite-on 52 x 32 x 52 drive (a good drive by the way) for £29.50 + P&P and it’ll be a nice upgrade to your current 12 x 8 x 32 drive anyway ;).

Sorry I can’t be of more help,

Alex

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for replying InsertNameHere.

I've checked the readme for the latest mobo BIOS, and the only change I can see is to memory types.

Loosk like you've now given me the perfect excuse to upgrade the CD RW!!!:smashin: I might try the Sony CD RW I have in the Shuttle SN45G HCPC before I do, just to make sure.

Cheers.