Help with Capturing Mini DV on Premiere Pro

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Tuppa21, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tuppa21

Tuppa21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, this is my first thread having just subscribed. I am relatively inexperienced with the tech words so please bare with me.

I have previously made short films of weddings and sports tours by capturing and editing from Digital 8mm tape from a Sony Handycam using Adobe Premiere Pro v7.0. I have then burned on to DVD with great results.

However, this weekend, i borrowed the school Canon MV450i (MiniDV) to record a school trip. I want to edit the footage and add music then make a DVD to show in assembly.

However, when i attached the Firewire connection, (having turned the camera on and flicked the switch to play) and opened Premiere Pro, file, capture, as per usual, the capture window opens but remains black and it says "Capture Device Offline". I cannot seem to capture any film.

Can anyone help by telling me why this might be/how i can solve it. The help option makes no sense to me!

Thanks in advance
    Tuppa21

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    First check if windows movie maker "sees" your camcorder via firwire as a video capture device. If it does the most likely the setting in premiere may not have been set to recognice the firewire as the capture device and will need to be set

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Ray
    just had a quick look at your other thread where you quite rightly tried to eliminate the firewire cable, then card.
    Just to say that unless capture is via a usb connection , OHCI drivers are normally part of windows (XP) . As such unless the firewire connection in devices manager is shows to a problem ( which can be solved by refreshing its windows drivers) The issue of drivers is unlikely as camcorders using fire iwre arent normally supplied with drivers
    A problem would ( usually ) be indicated by an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You are quite correct of course. Drivers shouldn't be an issue in the case of firewire. The software that comes with dvcams tends just to be profiles for distinguishing between different models e.g jvc and sony. If device manager is not showing any issues with firewire then it unlikely that this end of the connection is the problem.

I know I have had problems in the past when the capture device was shown as offline but I'm struggling to remember what the problem was. It may have been something as simple as a dodgy connection on the camera or the matrox rtx100 card I use occasionally. With a working card, cable and camera turned on with tape in it's hard to see why the device wouldn't be detected.

Ray