1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with capturing footage from Digital8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gurthod, Mar 31, 2005.

1. gurthod

gurthod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got some footage on a Sony Handycam on Digiatal8 tape. After reading many threads on this website I feel I have everything in place to capture the footage to PC for simple editing ........however, it still does not work.

Any suggestions?

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi gurthod,

I think you will need to give us some more information as to what is going wrong. Please tell us your model of camcorder, editing software and hardware, PC spec, operating system used and exactly what is not working.

Then some one will be able to help you out I am sure!!

Cheers

DigiStuff

3. gurthod

gurthod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I've got a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV145E. I've got footage on Hi8 and Digital8 tape. My PC is fairly decent spec (2.4 GHertz, 512 MB RAM, 264MB Graphics Card) as it's only about 6 months old. I'm running XP SP2. I recently bought a Firewire card which came with a cable for the DV out on the handycam. I first tried to use Movie Maker but it didn't recognise that i'd even installed the card although XP told me the hardware was installed and working properly. I then acquired a trial of Pinnacle Studio 8 (which has now run out), but when i went to capture i kept getting an error message saying that the handycam needed to be switched on etc (which it was!).

Hope you can help

Cheers

gurthod

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, try this . . .

What happens if, without going into any program, you just connect your camcorder (make sure it's in VCR mode) and turn it on? If you hear a sound (on my PC it's a couple of 'musical' beeps), then it means that your PC has recognised that something is attached. If you don't hear anything, then it could be that you've got a faulty firewire cable, or maybe you're firewire card isn't correctly working (despite what XP tells you!).

Have you got access to another PC with a Firewire connection (i.e. at work or a friend)? If so, then it might be worth trying out connecting you camcorder to that PC, just to rule out the possibility of the DV socket on the camcorder being faulty.

Let us know how you get on.

5. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  7. gurthod

gurthod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your help guys.

A mate of mine is going to bring round his Firewire cable this weekend, at least then i'll know if that's the problem. If it still doesn't work i'll have to try and find someone who has a firewire connection on their PC that they know works. Sounds like i am doing the right thing, just need to get to the root of the problem by elimination.

Thanks again

gurthod