Help with Camera to replace old Sony Mini DV

morsey

Standard Member
Reaction score
My 8 year old Sony DCR-PC100E mini dv camera has packed up. I’ve bought a new hd camera for future recordings, but I need another mini dv camera to play my old tapes.

Can anyone recommend a camera to replace the Sony?

I don’t mind going for a model that’s been out for a while, which is going for a good price. I don’t mind going for a refurbished or second hand camera as long as they come with some form of warranty (no idea where I can buy one of these from?). I’m just really after a camera that will be as good quality or better than the Sony. Hopefully looking to spend less than £150?

Any advise much appreciated!!

IF it is just to play.. any camcorder will do as they will not degrade playback recorded elsewhere. quality here would refer to durability . It may be hard to say how "durable" a used camcorder is as you would have no way of knowing how its previous owner treated it
Any new Sony, Canon Panasonic model at your pricepoint ( Maybe JVC as well) will do. Samsung would be another brand but Im not hot on them for recording quality ( personally)
Canon MD 253 250 should be fine without costing you more than £150

You don't need to spend anywhere near £150. I would look on eBay for a second-hand model and pay no more than half your budget (I've actually done this for the same reasons as you). As ever check the feedback and other items sold, and ask questions like how much use the camera has had, how old, any repairs etc.

Or get one even cheaper - if it breaks in a years time chuck it away and get another one - no need to pay extra for a warranty unless you are going to continue to record using it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom