Help with Camera recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by awebber, Feb 19, 2013.

1. awebber

awebber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Thinking about upgrading my camera my current camera is fuji s620 which as served me well with holiday/social shots. But now my girls have got really into Athletics of which i'm taking quite a few shots and i'm finding s620 quite limiting, so i'm looking for a good used SLR for taking fast moving sports shots. First recommendation i received was Canon 7D but at used £600 it was all my budget and without any lenses, then the next was 550d and spent what i'm saving on good lenses.
    Is the 550d better than a nikon d200 and then comes the question of which lens, i assume i'm better going with a cheaper body and a good quality lens. How much do i need to spend to get on a good quality lens and also which lens' should i be looking at.
    Thanks for any advice.:lease:

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,816
    Problems I can think of with the cheaper body approach might be that it will have a poorer AF system which might be an issue for Sports Photography and might have poorer High ISO performance which would also affect you if shooting Sports in poor light...

3. awebber

awebber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. So your recommending i should bite the bullet and get a 7D with a cheapest Lens and upgrade lens over time.

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,816
    Not necessarily - I don't have any personal experience of the Canon Range's AF or ISO capabilities - there may be a mid-range body that would perform acceptably for you depending on the lighting or type of sports - and of course better glass (wider aperture) may to an extent help counteract the need for higher ISO .

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with "hands-on" experience of the Canon Line-up who can give more specific advice :)

5. flightphoto

flightphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'll join in! Although I'm a Canon man doing aerial photography I would recommend anything from a 400d upwards. The sport mode in a newbies hands is perfect and if you couple that with the 24-135mm Is USM you will be more than chuffed. I would recommend glass over body as this will give you the opportunity to learn from the ground up to then justify £600 on a 7D. Check out the classifieds on here as there's plenty of deals etc! Remember that it's only 20 years ago that we were using film as a mainstream in the hobby with the most basic of bodies but expensive lenses!

6. flightphoto

flightphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Infact. A 40D can be had for cheap and you could buy something like the Sigma 24-70 ex dg f/2.8 which I would recommend for nearby sports photography etc. I even use it for close up rally shots and it serves well! I'm teaching the Mrs with the basics until she can justify buying her own pro lenses etc!

7. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Sports is a tricky area to make recommendations on a budget. Any proper DSLR will have very fast one shot AF which is great for stationary objects, but for moving targets using the autofocus tracking modes (AI Servo on Canon's) demands something a bit better.

I can't recommend the AI servo on most of the xxxD Canons (used to own a 500D) it's a lot better on the xxD's (own a 50D) and better still on the 7D.

Lenses you want to be looking at models with a fast autofocus motor (that means USM for Canons, HSM for sigma etc), you also should be looking at a more telephoto lens than the ones recommended above in my opinion. Though you will also need a normal zoom as well. I just sold a Canon 70-200mm F4 L on the classified here for £330 which makes a great lens for sport in good light (for lower light a f2.8 aperture and image stabilsation helps, but will also cost a LOT more), autofocus is very fast and it's very sharp. I paid about the same price for it 18 months ago, so the good thing with buying quality used lenses like this is they'll hold there value.

In lower light for indoor sports events a fast prime like a Canon 85mm 1.8 USM will offer very fast AF and allow you to keep the shutter speed high.

In the interests of full disclosure i am selling a Canon 50D and a Canon 85mm 1.8 in the classifieds :p

8. awebber

awebber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice, so i've seem to made my mind up on which lense know it's just down to Camera and it looks like from the advice given its a choice between 40d/50 or 60 as 7d is out of range.

9. flightphoto

flightphoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Best of luck bud. You'll make the right decision ;)

50D would be handy if you can. Check out here and eBay etc as there's quite a few bargains about!

10. awebber

awebber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the 650d compare against the 50d.

11. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,012
    Better sensor, worse body & controls.