Help with calibration

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by The Eggman72, Feb 17, 2014.

1. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    trying to get my system sounding right and its really starting to make my brain itch now...have run Audessy countless times but can seem to get a sound I like always sounds a tad thin...Have looked into doing it manually but im well out my depth...anyone in Hull or surrounding fancy trying to help my get it right ??? can pay with tea biccys and decent conversation....any help much appreciated....my kit is listed in my sig..

2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,424
    are you meaning after Audyssey the subs sound a bit low, if so Audyssey tends to do this so adjust them up a little to suit you

Allan

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I see you have 2 subs and the 875 amp, do you have a spl meter?

If not buy one they are not too expensive.

If you have one turn the volume of one sub up till your spl meter hits 75db at your main listening position with the test tone running then turn the sub off. Then do the same with the other sub but don't turn it off.

Then turn the other sub back on and run audyssey and see what that sounds like. By using 75db with 2 subs you are running 5db hot so that should be a fuller stronger sounding bass. If it's too strong you can always trim it back by using channel level adjustment in your avr.

Without using this method you don't know if the subs are putting out the same volume so the sound will be uneven. It is also possible as you are using two subs that if the phase is out one sub may be canceling out the bass from the other so try turning the phase control on one of the subs slowly from 0 degree to 180 degree and see if the bass gets any louder.

4. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have heard it recommended to run Audyssey with the sub/s high (around 82 - 85) (pretty much as kbfern suggests above). When you do this, you'll notice that the AVR trims down the sub level further, but I must say I do think this method does carry some weight as I feel the bass does sound somewhat fuller (even though the end result in db (according to the sub amp, spl meter & avr trim) ends up being the same).

Maybe it's something complicated to do with the Audyssey black box software, or possibly a case of giving the sub's amp slightly more to do and the AVR's amp slightly less.

Do you turn up the trim level of the sub after running Audyssey?

Have you experimented with sub placement (and if front firing, the facing direction (firing against a wall/corner may help)?

Are you sure it's not the source material which is thin?

5. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Deffo not the source material//countless movies used ;)..subs are firing towards a wall for some boundary re-enforcement.

6. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I cant see your sig on my phone, I am a previous 875 owner though and may be able to help. Is your first measurement position close to a wall or corner? Is your sofa close toba rear wall etc. If so then Audyssey could be picking up a lot of low frequency gain or a peak and be attenuating it causing the effect you notice. There is a couple things to try though

7. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    1st measurement is from MLP..then the left side..right side....centre front..left front ect and a gap between sofa and window wall...

8. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,467
    I found the latest S&Munsel calibration disc to be good for setting levels with a SPL meter
    It is recorded at -30db so you set your AVR at reference 0 then select each speaker in turn and adjust the trims to 75db on the SPL meter
    It is far more accurate than the AVR internal test tones
    You can of course also calibrate your display as well