1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with calibrating the Optoma H30 Advanced (H30A)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by outoftouch, May 24, 2005.

1. outoftouch

outoftouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. Just took ownership of my very first projector- the above mentioned Optoma Themescene H30 Advanced (H30A). It's a stunning projector and the images are great and I'm so glad I made the move. Sometimes the images can be a little dark though - especiually night scenes. I was wondering if anyone had some decent calibrating advice - not a lot on the company site.

Right now it's connected to a Philips progressive scan DVD player via component video leads and shooting onto a Beamax manual screen. I find that depending on the movie I have to tweak the brightness/contract settings. Is this normal?

Thanks

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Have a look at the 'sticky' link at the top of the page - "Basic Projector Calibration". It should help set your black and white levels and ensure you aren't losing shadow or bright detail:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196873

You shouldn't have to touch the settings once it's set, but you will find that NTSC and PAL movies have different black levels, and THX disks may not look quite right either sometimes. All will be revealed in the link. :)

Gary.

3. outoftouch

outoftouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary - will do

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Just to touch on what Gary said. My Benq is now calibrated but some (PAL)movies definitely have different black levels.
    I find with my BenQ projector that the brightness level is either set at 0 or 20 but never inbetween, depending on the movie.
    I sometime wonder if it's my progressive scan DVD player which is a Tosh SD340.

As a quick guide for black level. Pause your movie just at the start of the movie where there is usually a black screen that fades into the actuall movie.
    Turn up your brightness until you can see the black as grey and then slowly turn down your brightness until you can just see a hint of black noise like texture on the screen.

That should get you going.

5. outoftouch

outoftouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cybertheater - going to try that right now. About to buy DVE for PAL so will have to wait a week for delivery. Plenty of time to try some other solutions in the meatime. Cheers

6. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I always find calibrating NTSC material, gives me an excellent PAL picture, but doesn't work the other way round.

Weird!

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Black for PAL is 0mv, and 53mv for NTSC, so setting for NTSC means PAL will lose all shadow detail below 53mv, since the voltages between 0mv and 53mv should be levels of grey.

Doing it the other way round means that NTSC will display grey instead of black, since it can't produce anything under 53mv unless you set it's output for 0ire in the DVD player (if it has that option).

Gary.