help with cabling please !!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by eddiew, Feb 19, 2001.

1. eddiew

eddiew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably the wrong forum, but no joy elsewher surely sombody has an answr..moderators ??!!
    i am in a dilema !! I have the usual array of home cinema kit..cable, dvd,video and tv and added a processor to my main hi-fi to add dolby digital....and its all gone wrong !!! My TV has 2 Scarts and a front S Video and Composite I/P. I have a Yamaha DSP E-800 and want to connect my Cable Box with a composite output, ON Digital box with a Scart, Video with Scart and my DVD with S Video into it and switch between them all without changing AV I/P on my TV and generally juggling with the remotes...I have read the manual and it has confirmed my experience that the processor wont convert the different I/P's and O/P them all on the S Video for example. I even bought a Philips Pronto remote to simplify things with macros !! but this hasn't helped much as i still have to switch between all the TV's I/P's !! I have seen a standards convertor from Lektropacks..... http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/acatalog/cmt-7.html but £200 to simply do this when there must be an easier way seems a bit much ... also i always assumed that the s video conection was the best, but have recently read that the rgb scart was superior ... is this the case or is it just preference ??

2. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're stuck mate (if it's any consolation I have the same problem with loosing remotes down the side of the sofa!).
    I have a similar set up to you - cable via SCART1 (RGB), video thru SCART to the cable box & DVD thru S-video. I can now play video thru SCART1 (as playing a tape overrides the cable TV channels, and by switching to the s-video i/p (using the TV remote) I have DVD. I originally had the DVD in the TV via SCART, in which case it was just a matter of powering the DVD player on & the TV would switch to the DVD SCART (conversely by switching the cable box ON/OFF the TV would then auto switch back to the cable SCART i/p).

What you need to do it get a wooden board about one foot long & stick all your remotes to it. Then put a hook on the back of the board so you can hand it up (haven't quite figured out how to change the batteries yet though ;_> )

I was considering one of those all in one remotes, but you wrote you didn't like it much - any reason why???

Rob

3. eddiew

eddiew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8... it wasnt that i didn't lik ethe Philips Pronto remote...i did !! It was just that it didn't solve my problem of multiple formats over multiple inputs. I think it is a very good product. If you visit the various web sites out there, http://www.remotecentral.com/is one, you can download loads of graphics that can make the remote really look the part as well as perform the neccesary functions... for instance you can hit the Sky Sports 1 logo on your remote that will switch your TV to the correct channel, your amp to the correct IP and even set the correct lighting...all with one press of a button !! The new colour version will be out later this year, but at around £600 it is probably for the real gaget freaks out there... mmmmmm sounds like i need an upgrade !!!
    but it looks like i will have to buy the format converter first unless anyone has a better idea ????.........