Help With Buying Equipment - have £1000 to spend

feeta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I would class myself as an amatuer when it comes to videography....I have done a fair bit of camcorder work (for family events and suchlike) but never used aids or professional kit.

I used to have a Sony Video8 Handycam (CCD-F555E) but that has since packed up! :(

I now have a budget of £1000 to buy a new MiniDV camcorder and accessories!

I have already decided to buy a Canon MV750i as the camcorder...I have read good reviews and heard good things about it. I can get one for just under £400 so that leaves £600 for accessories.

The things I woiuld like are:
  • MiniDV Tapes
  • Video Light
  • Camcorder Mic
  • Battery charger/discharger
  • car battery charger
  • Editing software
  • accessory bag to hold camcorder & accessories
  • SD Cartd Reader (USB)
  • Stabilisation system (like a shoulder mount or body mount)
The type of work I will be doing ranges from wedding videos to ralley and off-road race videos.

Could you guys let me know what you think are good thing's to get? I would like as much as possible for the money.

The stabilisation is the most important thing as I am constantly holding the camcorder...I would like a decent one (I have been looking at the ones at dvtec.tv, b-hague.co.uk and camsling.co.uk.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Feeta :)

I've got a camsling. For getting fast pans (in my case of running horses) and general stability without a tripod it's very good. I'd recommend a tripod to start with though. Video light? Sort that after you've got the basics.

The best cams are the ones that record well in poor light. So the bigger the CCD the better. ie Keep away from the 1/6th inch CCD.

I'd recommend joining a video club so you learn more and show off your stuff (if you've not done this)

Hope that helps
Billy

Originally posted by Billwill
I've got a camsling. For getting fast pans (in my case of running horses) and general stability without a tripod it's very good. I'd recommend a tripod to start with though. Video light? Sort that after you've got the basics.

The best cams are the ones that record well in poor light. So the bigger the CCD the better. ie Keep away from the 1/6th inch CCD.

I'd recommend joining a video club so you learn more and show off your stuff (if you've not done this)

Hope that helps
Billy

Ok, so you think perhaps not going for the Canon 750i?

Do you have any decent recommendations?

Yeah, I was thinking about a camsling.

I do already have a large tripod as I do a lot of SLR camera work.

I live down in Cornwall so the availability of clubs etc is very limited...I havn't heard of any video clubs down here but there might be...any ideas where I could find out if there was one?

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Peter Appleyard

Originally posted by feeta
Ok, so you think perhaps not going for the Canon 750i?

I really don't know the pros and cons of that cam. I have a Canon XM-1 and MV300i. Both are good in their own ways. (the former is the best cam I've had mind)

For the video clubs in your area (Here's South West England)
try looking here http://www.theiac.org.uk/regions/sococlubs.html

Hope that helps
Billy

Originally posted by Billwill
I really don't know the pros and cons of that cam. I have a Canon XM-1 and MV300i. Both are good in their own ways. (the former is the best cam I've had mind)

For the video clubs in your area (Here's South West England)
try looking here http://www.theiac.org.uk/regions/sococlubs.html

Hope that helps
Billy

Yeah, thanks very much! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom