Help with buying a TV budget £1000

Fred Gee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi...just after some good basic advice I have up to 1k to spend on a new 55 inch TV.

I have been all round the net looking at reviews and QLED V OLED I’m down to a few if someone could give some help as my mind is frazzled. I’m not a gamer, just a normal person who watches normal tv, sky, films, Netflix and a lot of sports.

There is a Philips OLED 754 for £949 at richer sounds that was wired and T3 tv of year.

I have now found a Philips OLED 854/12 which I believe is a slight upgrade in sound and a p5 pro processor and it swivels is it worth paying the extra 50 quid at Costco..currys slightly cheaper but I get 2% cashback at Costco.

There is the LG OLED 55B9 that I can get at Costco for £941.98 but the reviews seem to say Philips is the better option ?

On the flip side are Samsung QLED there is a QE55Q80RAT at Currys for £899 and QE55Q85R again at Currys for £999...apparently this tv started life at £2299.

I’m vaguely familiar with the differences between QLED and OLED and I know there will be fans of both camps. But as a normal bloke who wants a decent TV for him and his family to watch what would people advise..I would appreciate any help...Cheers

Comparing LCD TVs like the Samsung Q80R you mentioned to OLED: LCD versus OLED

Really since OLEDs have been reduced to the price you can find them now, the Q80R doesn't get close for overall picture quality in my opinion.

In your shoes I'd go for the 7 or 8 series Philips since they will have good motion for sport.

Cheers Dodgexander my only concern was I read on an AV forum if I watch sky sports over a period of time news the banner across the bottom might cause the OLED screen burn . But then I viewed another article and th3 tech guy said screen burns only happen if you are watching the same screen for hours a day... that’s why as a normal guy I’m so confused re what to buy ..so if you had my choices out of all televisions on the market for my price range, just watch soaps docs sky films Netflix and live rugby and football you would go for the Philips ? Cheers

Hi I’ve read your very informative OLED burn out thread which answers my question.Just the which one would you buy for a grand now if you has the choice

Cheers Dodgexander my only concern was I read on an AV forum if I watch sky sports over a period of time news the banner across the bottom might cause the OLED screen burn . But then I viewed another article and th3 tech guy said screen burns only happen if you are watching the same screen for hours a day... that’s why as a normal guy I’m so confused re what to buy ..so if you had my choices out of all televisions on the market for my price range, just watch soaps docs sky films Netflix and live rugby and football you would go for the Philips ? Cheers

The confusion is caused by some OLED's getting burn in with careful care and use. A general rule of thumb is if you are doing lots of gaming and or watch lots of sport,news banners/logos etc avoid oled.

I would go for the Philips 8 series or Panasonic GZ950 on current availability/pricing.

If you feel your usage is prone to burn in then you can either go for an LCD TV instead, or purchase an OLED from John Lewis together with their insurance that counts burn in as accidental damage.

Burn in is caused by prolonged use of static imagery. Things like news channels and stationary tickers are a no-go. In the thread I wrote you can calculate how soon you will receive burn in based on the rtings.com test.

From their last update:
Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

So if you watch american sports that have more tickers and static images the European sports then you can expect to get burn in after 9000 hours or 5 hours every day for 5 years.

It really depends what you watch. I wouldn't assume watching sport necessarily puts you at risk, especially when no two games are alike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom