1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Bookshelf Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hot_tracks, Feb 7, 2005.

1. hot_tracks

hot_tracks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of going in for some bookshelf speakers. Have checked reviews on the net and have narrowed down to the following which are within my budget. I would like advice on which speakers are recommended. The choices are the Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 or Diamond 8.2 series, the Mordaunt Short 902's or the B&W DM303.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +683
    I've just bought a set of 8.1's off these forums, extremely happy with them so far. Haven't heard any of the others, so can't comment, but can definitely recommend the 8.1's. :thumbsup:

3. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered Wharfedale 9.1? Bit more expensive than the 8 series but no dearer than the DM 303s. They have great reviews, tho I haven't heard them.

Also I can recommend the Monitor Audio Bronze B2's.
    Both are around the £180 mark.

If you want cheaper, the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1's can be had from superfi.com for only £120, (rrp £180).

Best thing would be to take some CDs to your local superfi or sevenoaks etc and compare a few things!

Happy Listening
    Matt

4. Moroz

Moroz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Wharfedale Diamond 8 HT set (8.3+8.1+8c). It run with NAD T753 and sub RUARK LogRithm in 80Hz LFE setting. Room 3.3m x 5.5m. I like sound of WD 8. All nonelectronic instruments are natural and detailed. But sound quality is decreasing on high volume.
    I set bass "-2dB". I suppose, bass correction for WD 8.2 would be "-4dB"
    :hiya:

Attached Files:

5. hot_tracks

hot_tracks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. By the way how do the Diamond 8.1 & 8.2 series compare to the Atlantic 300 Bookshelf speakers from Wharfedale. I've noticed that they are a lot bigger compared to the Diamond series but the Diamond series have the advantage of the Kevlar cones. Any comments would be appreciated. :)

6. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hot tracks, if you're wanting to save as much money as poss, and still get a very good pair of speakers, look at the Mordaunt-Short Avant 902. Although they are £150 retail, you can actually get them from Comet for £100! Of all places! Bargain! Thats where I got mine from and they do the job for me - they look very nice too. I use mine for the rear channels.

7. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Just checked Comet out and they dont seam to advertise any mordaunt short products online at all, the only Avant items they have in stock are toasters :eek:
    Which branch did you buy from please...

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry folks, i've just had a look at the Comet site where I found them, and it appears they've taken them off :eek: :oops:

I got mine from the Teesside Park branch, but it looks like theyve stopped them all together :(

Mind you, RS are doing them for £120 now I believe. Even at this price theyre a great buy :)