Help with b&w cm5 speaker settings, small or large, pioneer elite

Htowner5

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a question about setting b&w cm5 fronts as Small or Large in a pioneer elite vsx-70 settings....this is with b&w cmc2 center, Bose surrounds, and a klipsch rw-12d. I am very new to this and have no idea....:facepalm:

The mcacc changes the settings to large for the fronts, but should I put them as "small" so as to avoid distortion and damage from low freq.?

The cm5s go down to 56hz and the crossover is at 80hz.

If the cm5s r set to large, i would like to be sure the crossover sends sounds sub-80hz to only the sub, and not to both the sub and speakers set to large. BUT I have no idea, the manual is ambiguous as to this point.

It would be nice to hear some mid bass for orchestral sounds in movies coming from those cm5s and even the cmc2!

:lease::lease: help!

most defiantly set them to small and try the x-over at 80, and if you like to play loud, increase this to 100 or higher depending also on how you think it sounds :)

not sure if your mcacc is the same as on my lx86 but there is an option in the pro calibration to "keep manual speaker settings" whilst re running the pro EQ

If the cm5s r set to large, i would like to be sure the crossover sends sounds sub-80hz to only the sub, and not to both the sub and speakers set to large. BUT I have no idea, the manual is ambiguous as to this point.

:lease::lease: help!

When they are set to large, they play everything including under 80hz, and the sub will only play what is given to it from a 5.1 mix on the LFE channel unless the sub is set to "plus" which means it will play abit of what the speakers are playing too.

What you have said on the first line of what I have quoted is what will happen with speakers set to small and xover at 80hz:thumbsup:

Ok thanks alot will do!

Is there anyway to play some mid-bass on the fronts and center too?

Just to be clear, do u think it is def a bad idea to set the fronts and/or center to large (with sub set to plus), as this could cause distortion and damage to those sweet sweet b&w s ?

I would class mid bass as upto 200hz so xover at 80 will be fine, I have my big r700 xover at 100 and it sounds amazing try it and see but there is no way I would set to large, even if you have the volume really low

As far as I'm aware any speaker that cant play down to 40hz with ease should be set to small.

The crossover (of say 80hz) means that all frequencies below this will go to the sub and too any speakers set as large. If all are set to small, only the sub will get the really low frequencies.

As JamesVicky said, what is generally termed mid-bass will still be recieved my the fronts and centre.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom