Question Help with AVR-X2400 + PS4

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by captaincarrot, Dec 6, 2018.

1. captaincarrot

captaincarrot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the AVR-X2400 and have it hooked up to my Hisense 65u7a TV

Watching content on my Firestick 4K through the AVR went smoothly but tonight I tried to connect my PS4 (not the pro, so just regular 1080p content)

I get... Nothing.

I tried changing HDMI port on the AVR, no dice.

I swapped the Firestick and PS4 around. The Firestick works five in the 'game' port but the PS4 shows nothing still in the other HDMI ports.

The TV screen flicks between static and black screen when on the PS4 source through AVR. Not clear if this is the TV or the AVR causing it.

The screen on the AVR says ''Multi in" but I don't know what this means and Google didn't help me.

I tried the PS4 plugged direct into the TV and it worked fine.

The TV HDMI port is HDMI 2.2 though since this is not 4k current and the 4k Firestick worked, I don't think that would be the issue.

I ran setup on the AVR for the PS4 but it didn't make a difference.

The only time I have seen anything is when the PS4 was updating, I saw the progress bar.

does anyone have any idea what is occurring?

2. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Ok, so if you put the PS4 to the receiver thats one HDMI lead, then there is another that runs from the receiver to the TV. Have you used both leads when plugging the PS4 directly in to the TV to prove they both work ?

Multi In refers to the audio being fed to the receiver by the PS4, this is ok for now.

What you could try at least initially is to set the PS4 to a lower resolution and see if that will work.

3. captaincarrot

captaincarrot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention - I get sound from the PS4 when I select the source, just no video

4. captaincarrot

captaincarrot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi crafty,

I dropped the PS4 output to 480, 720 and it made no difference unfortunately.

I'm now going to an HDMI splitter before the AVR which also goes direct to my old 1080 Samsung. Samsung gets picture (currently in glorious 480) but new TV is still blank. Can still hear sound through the AVR.

Checked all HDMI are otherwise working from AVR to TV.

5. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Its definately an odd one.. If you plug the receiver in to your old tv does it work ?

Does the denon gui appear ? can you check if the processing is set to bypass ?

6. captaincarrot

captaincarrot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Crafty,

Thanks for the response

I realised last night that I didn't need the splitter since there are 2 HDMI outputs on the AVR already, so I plugged my old TV (the 1080p one) into the second output and it showed the PS4 fine.

This is where it got weird.

When the 1080p TV was plugged in and turned on, the 4K TV also displayed it fine. I thought "great, it works" so turned off the 1080p TV.... and promptly lost signal for the 4K tv. Still had sound playing through the speakers, just back to a blank screen (4K TV said "Weak or no signal detected")

Regarding the GUI for the AVR, this is also weird. If I switch to my Firestick, which works, I can press the SETUP button on the remote and see the menu, go through setup etc. I also see things like volume overlay coming from the AVR.
    If I switch to the PS4 and the blank screen, pressing SETUP brings nothing up. Something about having the PS4 plugged in is causing issues.

With the other quirk of having the second (1080p) screen connected, I wonder if this is something to do with feeding a 1080p source into a 4K revciever and TV. I would expect this to be an issue the other way around (4K into 1080) but not this way around...

7. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Sorry, only just saw this. Ok, so two outputs work, what happens if you switch the tv connections around? e.g. put the 4k tv in the 2nd hdmi out on the AVR and your old tv in the primary ?

Be good to hear what @dante01 thinks on this, I'm starting to consider if the AVR is faulty.