1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with AVC-A1SR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dts, Feb 17, 2003.

1. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon AVC-A1SR amp and a Pioneer 717 DVD player and have 7 speakers and two subwoofers. My problem is that all the surround sounds come from the side speakers and noting from the back ones even with EX movies. During amp installation I did choose 7.1 setup and calibrated the sound level on all seven speakers.

I would appreciate your help.

:confused:

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Hi

Have you actually switched the Surround Back speakers ON? Press the 6.1/7.1 button on the front panel and the Surround Back indicator light on the front panel (far right) should light.

The Surround Back channels are not active 100% of the time, depends on the mix of the film (if its ES/EX).

It will also depend on which mode you have the amp set to: THX Ultra 2 Cinema or Music, THX Surround EX, Dolby EX etc. Check the front panel to see if its in a mode that uses the Surround Backs.

3. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestion when I get home to see if it works.

Cheers

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    The other thing to check will be the AFDM (Auto Flag Detect Mode). You´re best to leave this set to OFF as not many dvds actually have the flag encoded on them to enable the Surround Backs to switch on automatically.

5. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Thanks Jase. Someone at home played with my set up and I found that the back speakers were not installed. I found this when pressed 5/7 channel and it did not work. I went to system set up and installed the back speakers again and it worked.

I am now faced with strange problem. I tried to re-calibrate the sound with an SPL meter and the only way to get the two front speakers to reach 75db is by increasing the level to a ridiculous +8 db. I use to the required level at -3.5db only. Now when I played Blade II, I can't get the master volume to more that -20.0 without damaging my ears. I used to enjoy movies at master volume at -5.0.

So in short, pink noise can only reach 75db on my SPL at +8db for the front main speakers while all other speakers reach that level at a range of -2.5 -- -3.5.

Help please:confused:

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Are you sitting quite a distance from your front speakers? Could be down to this. I´m sat nearer my surrounds than the fronts and they are balanced to 85db (with the AVIA disc) and they are all at -3db, yet the rears are at -7, with the surround backs at -10db. I only listen to movies at around -20db on the volume display.

When you calibrate are you leaving the volume level set to 0db? Make sure you are, then balance all the channels to 75db if you´re using the internal test tones.

Another thing that might be the cause of the differing levels could be down to the actual speakers themselves, maybe the fronts are a lower sensitivity compared to the rears and require a higher channel level to reach the same perceived volume/output level.

7. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

The front speakers are about 5m away from where I sit and yes the surround speakers are much closer. But this is not the problem. When I first bought the amp, I calibrated all speakers using the internal test tone, pink noise, at 75db with the front speakers including the central were at about –3db and the surround at about –5db. Now the central speakers, same brand and specs to the other front ones, gets 75db at –3db but the L&R speakers can only reach that level at +8db. When I play movies, the L&R speakers are way too loud compared to all other speakers that forces me to reduce their level to –2db in order to enjoy movies. I contacted the local dealer but not much of help.

:confused:

8. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Very strange. Just in case the amp has done a wobbler, reset it. Hold down the STEREO & DIRECT buttons on the front panel whilst turning the POWER ON. Hold them for a few seconds and the display will flash.

You will need to re-enter all the speaker settings, delay times, channel levels etc as this re-initializes the processor and puts all settings back to the defaults.

Hope this helps.

9. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:
    I reset the amp but no luck. The same problem still exists.

Any help please.

:mad:

10. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    It's taken you six months to answer! LOL

I can't thing of anything else if it's the same after being reset. Your last option would be to get it looked at by Denon themselves in case something internally has gone wrong (to do with the test tones it would appear).